Which version of phpBB does this forum run now?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
msibm

Which version of phpBB does this forum run now?

Post by msibm »

Is it 3.1.0 RC3?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Which version of phpBB does this forum run now?

Post by MichaelC »

Of sorts, it is slightly more recent than that - Area51 is regularly updated with the latest development build of phpBB 3.1.

You can see the repo it runs off here
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

jidanni

Post by jidanni »

[Sarcasm on]
Alas, maximum security, else it surely will one day get hacked.
Even more secure would be to remove the branding altogether... generic bulletin board.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

jidanni wrote:[Sarcasm on]
Alas, maximum security, else it surely will one day get hacked.
Even more secure would be to remove the branding altogether... generic bulletin board.
Your "sarcasm" is likely an allusion to the fact that your ticket for inclusion of the site version in the meta tags was basically rejected. While you might not appreciate the fact that the version is not published, I'm sure the thousands of phpBB installations worldwide don't share your same disregard for their security. This is a development board for phpBB, which is very very different than having a live non-development site of phpBB. Sharing the version here makes sense. Sharing the version on all phpBB sites around the world so a hacker can gather a list through a simple Google search doesn't make much sense at all.

jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Just curious, of the several
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... m_software
how many of them take such a high security approach?

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

We could also ask a few other questions:
- how many websites using symfony components display the exact version number of these components?
- how many website display the used version number of django, RoR or *insert here the name of any framework*?

But for your question, yes most of them display the version number but who care? The hackers and? To be simple, it's not because most of the other forum sofware are doing something that we have to do the same.

And because your are talking about the security approach, how many of them pay an external security audit on their product?
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

If you're wondering how many GPL forums on that list show the software version somewhere on their home page then I'm sure that you can do a search for each and find out. ;) You'll probably find that either only their support forums will show the version they're running on or they show this information by default and quite a few installations of their software will go out of their way to prevent this from being displayed.

If you're wondering what other steps we take for security as a reflection of how serious we take security well 3.0 had a security audit done, which we plan to have done for 3.1 as well.

jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Well they are going to figure it out one way or the other
http://armoredcode.com/blog/fingerprint ... -platform/

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes of course there is sometimes a way if one tries hard enough. That's what hackers do. But we're not about to serve it on a platter as easy pickings for everyone. ;-)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:If you're wondering what other steps we take for security as a reflection of how serious we take security well 3.0 had a security audit done, which we plan to have done for 3.1 as well.
I wondered if you were going to have a security audit for 3.1. I'm glad to hear that you are. :)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.