Select different recipients at Contact a Board

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Select different recipients at Contact a Board

Post by DavidIQ »

Because that is not the intended purpose of this form. It is directly linked to the forum, not the entire site. As it is, it's working exactly as it should. If someone wants to create an extension to add all sorts of options to this page then that's perfectly fine of course. ;)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

HD321kbps wrote:Who for the opportunity to select different recipients at Contact a Board? Example: Administration Forum,Sales Department, etc. Ability to send to different email.
I think that the main reason for the Contact us link is to allow unregistered users a way to contact the board Admin with registration problems. If that's correct, there's no reason for other contact types.

I bet that most boards don't have "sales departments" anyway. :D
DavidIQ wrote:Because that is not the intended purpose of this form. It is directly linked to the forum, not the entire site.
That could confuse people. It makes it sound like the contents of the form gets posted in a forum.

I think what you mean is that it's only meant as a contact page for the board, not for the entire site, right? In other words, if you have a site where a phpBB board is just one part of the site, this feature isn't intended for the rest of the site.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:I think what you mean is that it's only meant as a contact page for the board, not for the entire site, right? In other words, if you have a site where a phpBB board is just one part of the site, this feature isn't intended for the rest of the site.

Steve
Yes, exactly.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

If you want a site-wide contact page, write a site-wide contact page.

As David said, this should be an Extension. The people who would need this probably have written their whole site as custom phpBB pages, but most of us just using the board probably don't need it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:If you want a site-wide contact page, write a site-wide contact page.

As David said, this should be an Extension. The people who would need this probably have written their whole site as custom phpBB pages, but most of us just using the board probably don't need it.

Steve
I agree it should be an extension. However, for the majority that use phpbb just as a board, the board is their entire site - with a few mods. That being said, I don't agree with your (and David's) reasoning for not having the extra feature.

What the team created is adequate. All of the extra/bonus features should be added with an ext.