Wordify Plugin Manager

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

CURL to be added to phpBB Plugin Manager

40%
Dislike
60%
Neutral
No votes

Total votes: 5

Dorardesign

Wordify Plugin Manager

Post by Dorardesign »

Hello,
Thank you for allowing me to join Area 51
I wonder why phpBB doesn't have a similar WP plugin manager in term if look and feel?
What could be the objections?
I believe it helps so much integration and development.
I believe its simple and easy to add it to the core release!
I started the development of the plugin manager as to what I explained; but I was told by a developer that its already there as a mod.
Yet can't find it in the latest release, mod db or google search; just hope it really there or started somewhere!
Thank you for reading and good luck
Hasson

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Wordify Plugin Manager

Post by DavidIQ »

Have you actually looked at the 3.1 ACP? The WP plugin manager is not that great really. It's just a list of plugins and a search field for other plugins, both of which are planned for a later release. There is already an extensions management section in the ACP.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

It would be nice to give the ability to upload an extension from the ACP in a zip-archive with automatic unpacking to the destination directory
Sorry for my English.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Can someone explain what the poll is for? The topic is titled "Wordify Plugin Manager". I never heard of Wordify until this poll was created. Naturally, I googled it and now I know. However, the Poll is titled "CURL to be added to phpBB Plugin Manager".

Which one are we supposed to be voting for?

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Sumanai wrote:It would be nice to give the ability to upload an extension from the ACP in a zip-archive with automatic unpacking to the destination directory
What is your problem with this ? You can't use filezilla or windows explorer .... ?

And
keith10456 wrote:Can someone explain what the poll is for?

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Darkness_demoN wrote:What is your problem with this ? You can't use filezilla or windows explorer .... ?
These methods require a third-party software, configuring FTP.
In addition, they will be slower in mind downloading a large number small files instead of downloading a large file and unpack it on the server.
Poll really meaningless.
Sorry for my English.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Sumanai wrote:
Darkness_demoN wrote:What is your problem with this ? You can't use filezilla or windows explorer .... ?
These methods require a third-party software, configuring FTP.
You mean the same FTP program that they used to upload the board in the first place? ;)

Yes, some people may use one-click installers (which is discouraged from a support standpoint) or pay somebody to start the board (so they can pay to manage extensions, too), but FTP isn't rocket science.

Sure it would be "nice" to allow this, similar to the Backup/Restore feature of phpBB, but it's not really necessary.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.