Show "Users browsing this topic"

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
aleha

Show "Users browsing this topic"

Post by aleha »

Currently when viewing a topic, on the bottom of the page the users that are browsing the forum that the topic belongs to, are shown.
Do you find it a good idea to change this behavior, so that to show only the users that are viewing a specific topic?

PayBas

Re: Show "Users browsing this topic"

Post by PayBas »

Wasn't there a MOD for this?

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Definitely yes +1

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

+1 yeah, it makes more sense that way.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

+1 also for this.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

On topic pages, we should see both -- if there's going to be a change at all. Seeing who's in the forum is useful, too (it shows people with similar interest areas), plus it's more likely to get hits than showing who's in the topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

aleha

Post by aleha »

PayBas wrote:Wasn't there a MOD for this?
Didn't know about that, but yeap there is one from Jessica., https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2185141
It feels more right to see only the users browsing the topic. It feels more right when you are waiting desperate for an answer in the topic or to know if people are interested in your topic etc.

Question is if this should be in the core or as an extension first. I believe this should be in core, but for 3.1 I know the window is almost shut.

Does anyone know the behavior of other forum software on topic pages regarding this matter?
Pony99CA wrote:On topic pages, we should see both -- if there's going to be a change at all. Seeing who's in the forum is useful, too (it shows people with similar interest areas), plus it's more likely to get hits than showing who's in the topic.

Steve
Will be way too crowded for both.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

aleha wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:On topic pages, we should see both -- if there's going to be a change at all. Seeing who's in the forum is useful, too (it shows people with similar interest areas), plus it's more likely to get hits than showing who's in the topic.
Will be way too crowded for both.
Then I vote against the suggestion. Boards are not real-time (in general), so if some guy is hitting refresh waiting "desperately" to see if somebody is in the topic, he's kind of clueless anyway. ;) The correct thing to do is to wait for a notification that a new post has been added.

Besides, just because somebody is browsing the topic does not mean that person will be posting. Haven't you ever seen somebody at phpbb.com post something like "This topic has had 15 readers and nobody has answered my question. What's up with that?" :roll:

Anyway, you could do something like: