Quick Links

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
RMcGirr83

Quick Links

Post by RMcGirr83 »

The quick links show a red for those posts that are "unread" except I don't have any unread posts so the little icon thingy shouldn't be red in color. Should it?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (89.37 KiB) Viewed 22850 times
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

mrgtb

Re: Quick Links

Post by mrgtb »

I see same. I logged into my board and marked all forums as read, then went to dropdown list as see same thing. I'm thinking once you mark all forums as read, then none should be showing as a red icon.
Snap1.jpg
Snap1.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 22846 times
How comes your link order is different from mine.
Last edited by mrgtb on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Don't know. The image I posted is from on this forum.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

The icons refer to the type of the link, not the content.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Hi Joas,

That just seems odd to me. Why one type of link is red and the others aren't that is.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

It's a bit misleading that because the forum shows red/blue icons for old and new posts. Hence why we both jumped to same conclusion it was showing new posts when there was none. Really, you'd be better using all same colour icons to avoid that.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

well the options are to leave it or make new none red icons.

as @nickvergessen is correct in that its never worked that way we just added icons based on the name of the link
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I can understand the initial confusion, but as previously stated, these links are static.

I'm actually not even sure that there is a global template var that determines if there are any new/unread posts anywhere on the board. I'll have to look into it.

If there are no new/unread posts... we might as well hide the links entirely?

edit: I forgot that "new posts" is not related to read/unread. So the correct implementation would be:
[*]new posts (icon color depending on whether there are unread posts in there)
[*]unread posts (hidden completely if there are no unread posts)

I did a quick search, but couldn't find a method that checks for unread posts (board-wide) at the moment.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

PayBas wrote:II'm actually not even sure that there is a global template var that determines if there are any new/unread posts anywhere on the board. I'll have to look into it.
Nope.
Sorry for my English.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I dont understand why there are different icons. Why Your links has arrow, which other links dont have. Is "Your posts" somehow connected to arrow? If not it does not make sense to use arrow icon, it does not help users.

New and Unread posts have the same icon but they do 2 different functions. Thats strange.

I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.