LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.2/Rhea followed by 3.3.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
mrgtb
Registered User
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by mrgtb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

KurtisC wrote:Can we find a different word than 'like' though? Am I the only one who doesn't really 'like' that word on its own?
Loved Me mod. :)

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Like without dislike is useless...
Facebook doesn't seem to agree.
Facebook is worthless, in part, because of that. :roll:
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Registered User
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 am
Contact:

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am

The 800+ million users it has would seem to disagree.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by PayBas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 am

Since there is no way that this will be added in 3.1, I would suggest we wait and see which extension will be the most popular after 3.1 release (and what it's features are).

Then we can revisit this topic when we start thinking about 3.2 features and what to implement in the core (if anything).

User avatar
rfdy
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by rfdy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

making this core in 3.2 would be great.
this is the ideal functionality for us:
- ability to enable/disable feature on a forum by forum basis
- implement user permission (to allow some users to like, default to all roles except read-only)
- option somewhere to enable/disable down votes
- display votes on thread view (if enabled in forum)
- display user votes totals in thread view and user profile

Our extension implements all those, except for the down vote, which will be implemented later.

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:01 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:The 800+ million users it has would seem to disagree.
I didn't say it wasn't popular (and most accounts are bots and duplicates) but forums and social media sites aren't the same and the more phpBB becomes a sm clone the more I dislike it. I already plan on sticking with 3.0.12 for a while since 3.1+ is going downhill fast...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
mrgtb
Registered User
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by mrgtb » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:33 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:The 800+ million users it has would seem to disagree.
I didn't say it wasn't popular (and most accounts are bots and duplicates) but forums and social media sites aren't the same and the more phpBB becomes a sm clone the more I dislike it. I already plan on sticking with 3.0.12 for a while since 3.1+ is going downhill fast...
You do know it's not only Facebook using LIKES (although they spawned the idea first it seems). The 4 most popular forum software sold has the LIKE feature since over a year ago. It's proved a very popular used forum feature to warrant adding it in phpBB at some point. So forget facebook having it, look instead at forum software like vBulletin, XenForo, Burning Board, Invision (IPB), and how much members enjoy using the feature with them.

Lets not turn the topic into a "it shouldn't be added because phpBB is not Facebook", because it's not only facebook with LIKES

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by PayBas » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:55 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:I already plan on sticking with 3.0.12 for a while since 3.1+ is going downhill fast...
If you have something meaningful to contribute, please do so. If you simply don't like the new max-width as you have indicated at length... just install another style or modify it yourself. Other than that, these kind of remarks are absolutely useless.

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 pm

PayBas wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I already plan on sticking with 3.0.12 for a while since 3.1+ is going downhill fast...
If you have something meaningful to contribute, please do so. If you simply don't like the new max-width as you have indicated at length... just install another style or modify it yourself. Other than that, these kind of remarks are absolutely useless.
Oh, it's not JUST the style change...but my point still stands.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by PayBas » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:
PayBas wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I already plan on sticking with 3.0.12 for a while since 3.1+ is going downhill fast...
If you have something meaningful to contribute, please do so. If you simply don't like the new max-width as you have indicated at length... just install another style or modify it yourself. Other than that, these kind of remarks are absolutely useless.
Oh, it's not JUST the style change...but my point still stands.
You didn't make any point at all. Please elaborate.

Post Reply