Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by DavidIQ »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I still cannot understand what you mean. I see nothing wrong in that screenshot. The Topic title is always shown at the very top of the topic you are viewing. right under the navigation panel, where the Board index link is.

Oh, okay. i guess i understand what you are saying now. The user may be too lazy to scroll up at the top of the page to see the topic title. :lol:
If the user doesnt know the topic title and they havent bothered to read the first post that started all that discussion, then they shouldnt be bothering to read the very last post.......

When the page loads, you can scroll up very fast with your mouse or on a touch pad/mobile, you can scroll up just with a fast finger swing....
Really cant see a problem with this.

Dont smartphones have an option to roll over an area to display the full site title ?
It's not about laziness as you're insinuating. It's about the fact that I have no idea what a post is about because I was linked to the middle of it so now I have to scroll to the top of the page, which can be very long, check the title there, and in doing so I just lost my spot where I was reading at. It's not at all as dismissible as you'd like to make it. ;) In fact I would dare say that pretty much trumps all your arguments. Making prosilver more friendly for navigation has been a major sticking point (see the very long discussion about the navigation sections) and this doesn't really help. It does the opposite I would say. Your viewpoint of there being nothing wrong with having a user scroll to the top of a page to get a single piece of important information and back to where they were on the page is totally wrong.

And no, smartphones don't have an area that displays the full site name or anything in the title tag. Chrome mobile displays a very small part of the title in the tab, for obvious reasons, but you only see this truncated page title (10-15 characters it looks like...maybe more if you go landscape) if you press the tab button.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Although I'm honored that guys are using me as an example. At this point it's just personal preference.

I hate clutter. So I removed them. End of argument. Everyone else can do as they please ;).

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Dragosvr92 wrote:@Pony99CA, Whom are those many people?
Those lists were written by two users(keith and hanakin) that agree it it should be removed. The Pro removal list of reasons is much more longer than the few silly reasons that say it shouldnt be changed. You only debated to the lists with your own reasons why it shouldnt be removed and i dont find your "reasons" valid. You just wrote a lot with little relevance.
Hanakin's list had three "valid" reasons for keeping the post title and four for removing it. That's not a broad margin, so why not keep it as it is?

As for relevance, I've cited an excellent reason for them -- when people change the post title. However, I haven't found your reasons very relevant. You basically don't see a good use for them (despite others that do). Great -- remove them on your board, like Paybas has done, and leave the core as is.
Dragosvr92 wrote:Are you becoming really so blind....? Dont you see the IF word in the front ? I said if we all agree, not that we've all agreed.
Yes, I saw that, but I couldn't believe that you would say "If we all agree" when it's clear that we haven't. So what was the point? With a false premise, any conclusion is valid. (If pigs had wings, I'd have a flying car. That's technically a true statement in propositional logic.)

Or do you think that your powers of persuasion will all of a sudden change our minds and we'll all agree at some point in the future?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

DavidIQ wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:I still cannot understand what you mean. I see nothing wrong in that screenshot. The Topic title is always shown at the very top of the topic you are viewing. right under the navigation panel, where the Board index link is.

Oh, okay. i guess i understand what you are saying now. The user may be too lazy to scroll up at the top of the page to see the topic title. :lol:
If the user doesnt know the topic title and they havent bothered to read the first post that started all that discussion, then they shouldnt be bothering to read the very last post.......

When the page loads, you can scroll up very fast with your mouse or on a touch pad/mobile, you can scroll up just with a fast finger swing....
Really cant see a problem with this.

Dont smartphones have an option to roll over an area to display the full site title ?
It's not about laziness as you're insinuating. It's about the fact that I have no idea what a post is about because I was linked to the middle of it so now I have to scroll to the top of the page, which can be very long, check the title there, and in doing so I just lost my spot where I was reading at. It's not at all as dismissible as you'd like to make it. ;) In fact I would dare say that pretty much trumps all your arguments. Making prosilver more friendly for navigation has been a major sticking point (see the very long discussion about the navigation sections) and this doesn't really help. It does the opposite I would say. Your viewpoint of there being nothing wrong with having a user scroll to the top of a page to get a single piece of important information and back to where they were on the page is totally wrong...
Would you agree (and others who share your opinion) that the title of respective articles, videos, etc should be listed before each comment on Comment systems? I dare to say that most people wouldn't... The reason being, it's not necessary! The same here :idea:

And before it's stated, yes, I'm fully aware that phpBB is more than a Comment system. However, in general, the concept of each is very similar. Someone generates a post, article, video, etc, and the rest of the community post/share their thoughts, etc.

Circling all the way back... Again, I hope an ACP option is added to the core or someone make an ext so both sides can be satisfied :D

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

core option is not required this is a design flaw with prosilver and can easily be fixed in several different ways in a new theme. You could have the main title stick at scroll for example. This is really not nessecary to discuss any further as I feel we have already hit the main points. The poll does not convey any of them properly but the fact is its not something that will be changed in the confines of 3.1 and prosilver
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

DavidIQ wrote:Also for those saying that it shows up in the title of the browser well the topic titles (plus site title and view topic prefix) are typically too long to show up in a tab, which is where it will show up on tablets, if at all, and on some desktop browsers it will show up in the browser title. On a cellphone you wouldn't see it at all.
Fair enough.