Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

Jacob

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by Jacob »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:This was a feature that was added in phpBB3. phpBB2's behavior was to provide the user with a blank post title by default and the option to fill one in, except when quoting, when the quoted posts' title was filled in.
phpBB2 had it right.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Well, hopefully someone makes an ext that will allow the admin to enable/disable this via the ACP. I would love for that option to be added to the core but I'm not optimistic that that will happen.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

They should have added the topic title in a variable and use the var in all empty subject fields of the topic. Instead of hard codding it in and duplicating the same text ooover and over again. Seriously, it makes absolutely no sense to me. About everyone comes to complain that this "feature" shouldn't be removed, but no one gives a clear reason on why. Other than....... it is a standard.... it has always been there so why change it now.......

As i was comparing the topic page of these 15 forum platforms, i started to think that maybe phpbb should design a new forum style, instead of maintaining prosilver, which was created over 6 years ago.

Short:
Replace it with the post date/Remove it entirely or:
Repeat the same topic subject instead of duplicating it in each post.
Shrink the text as it is too big and it has such a small importance to be so prominent.

Edit:
I much prefer the way they added the subject title in YaBB.
Capture.PNG
(23.7 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Previous user: TheKiller

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

I haven't voted because I'm not 100% sure, but if the titles are going to be removed from post-replies I'd like them to be replaced by the post number and the timestamp. Like this:
post-number-and-timestamp.png
(95.43 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
The post's title could become the title for the post number's anchor.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether repeating topic titles could be a small SEO issue. Since we don't even use html5 semantic elements to define the post sections. Share thoughts?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:
The post's title could become the title for the post number's anchor.?
hmmm how dare you crop paybas' name from his own theme :P

honestly though I do prefer that we use post number and timestamp rather than a title
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

@hanakin I also made an evil laughter while I was cropping it :P

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Louis7777 wrote:I haven't voted because I'm not 100% sure, but if the titles are going to be removed from post-replies I'd like them to be replaced by the post number and the timestamp. Like this:
The post's title could become the title for the post number's anchor.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether repeating topic titles could be a small SEO issue. Since we don't even use html5 semantic elements to define the post sections. Share thoughts?
I like the way it is done in that theme ! :D
If we all agree that the post subject is useless and it should be removed. The devs can then debate what to replace it with.
Previous user: TheKiller

leschek

Post by leschek »

Dragosvr92 wrote:About everyone comes to complain that this "feature" shouldn't be removed, but no one gives a clear reason on why. Other than....... it is a standard.... it has always been there so why change it now.......
Well, I like it, because it helps me find the post in multipage topics (as are on phpBB.com) faster. If topic creator changes title of first post (for example he/she changes version of MOD), I can find very easily where new posts, created after that change, begins.

I guess developers could make red X button on the side of the field for subject title, so users who don't like it, could easily remove the title.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Dragosvr92 wrote:About everyone comes to complain that this "feature" shouldn't be removed, but no one gives a clear reason on why. Other than....... it is a standard.... it has always been there so why change it now.......
People have given plenty of "clear" reasons why they want it -- you're either forgetful or intellectually dishonest by dismissing them. In case you forgot, here's hanakin's list of valid reasons for keeping and removing post titles.
Dragosvr92 wrote:As i was comparing the topic page of these 15 forum platforms, i started to think that maybe phpbb should design a new forum style, instead of maintaining prosilver, which was created over 6 years ago.
There are other topics discussing style redesign, so this is really off-topic.
Dragosvr92 wrote:If we all agree that the post subject is useless and it should be removed. The devs can then debate what to replace it with.
More intellectual dishonesty? We all have not agreed that it should be removed. Even your poll doesn't show a huge margin favoring removal. (As of this post, removing it was only four votes ahead of not removing it, 56% to 44%. Maybe your definition of "all" needs revisiting. :roll:)

Steve

P.S. Of course, this isn't the first instance of you being intellectually dishonest in this topic.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

http://pbwow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... =20#p20235

There is a example of that you want. So i need to read what is writen on this post, than i need to go to TOP of the forum to read for what tihs post about than if i wana quote i need to go again to this post and press quote button ... With Topic title instead of number i will cnow what i need to cnow and i will press only quote button to reply.