[Define New Theme] 3. We need to use a pre-processor such as LESS or which ever is decided upon at least in development.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
brunoais

Re: [Define New Theme] 3. We need to use a pre-processor such as LESS or which ever is decided upon at least in developm

Post by brunoais » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:27 am

Has anyone here looked at this?
http://pleeease.io/
Sounds like a cool thing to use that solves many of the issues that CSS preprocessors have been used for, it seems to be quite lightweight and it is a lot some sort of the cutting edge CSS today (on browsers that don't support it). I'll investigate more on it.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [Define New Theme] 3. We need to use a pre-processor such as LESS or which ever is decided upon at least in developm

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 pm

brunoais wrote:Has anyone here looked at this?
http://pleeease.io/
Sounds like a cool thing to use that solves many of the issues that CSS preprocessors have been used for, it seems to be quite lightweight and it is a lot some sort of the cutting edge CSS today (on browsers that don't support it). I'll investigate more on it.
Too small, use autoprefixer for browser prefixing and myth.io for spec-conforming variables and stuff in CSS.

LESS is way better, though. Not sure why you have a problem with it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:17 pm

My main problem with LESS is the power it gives that allows making the CSS a mess. Outside of it, I'm perfectly fine with it, I actually intent to use it on my next project.
Anyway, I still prefer something more on the: "The syntax of today now" than "new syntax that is processed and later becomes a mirror of todays syntax".

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:48 pm

how exactly does less provide messy css if you run it through gulp with csslint?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:54 pm

brunoais wrote:My main problem with LESS is the power it gives that allows making the CSS a mess. Outside of it, I'm perfectly fine with it, I actually intent to use it on my next project.
Anyway, I still prefer something more on the: "The syntax of today now" than "new syntax that is processed and later becomes a mirror of todays syntax".
How does it allow you to make the CSS a mess? Are you talking about too deeply nested or overqualified selectors? If so, a decent linter will sort that out (as will correct development in the first place).
hanakin wrote:how exactly does less provide messy css if you run it through gulp with csslint?
RECESS is where it's at! Supports LESS, too, and handles compiling and beautification if required.
My blog

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 pm

This is a good read about why CSS post-processors are a bad idea: http://blog.rodneyrehm.de/archives/30-C ... -Myth.html
My blog

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Using preprocessor is a must in today's development. As well as using Grunt to parse it. So what about starting using Grunt?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:45 pm

their is a topic for that specifically but we are using gulp which is far more powerful.

Demo: http://hanakin.github.io/phpBB-StyleGuide/
Repo: https://github.com/hanakin/phpBB-StyleGuide/

phpdummie

Post by phpdummie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:27 am

Unless you are intending to implement on-the-fly LESS compilation inside phpBB and distribute the less files as a part of the standard distribution, the benefit of this is entirely lost on me. Sure, you can make all the LESS files a part of the graphics kit, that would help those who use LESS. However making this some sort of requirement is strange.

And I wish people would stop talking about LESS variables because they are variables only for those who have no clue what a variable is.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:34 pm

phpdummie wrote:Unless you are intending to implement on-the-fly LESS compilation inside phpBB and distribute the less files as a part of the standard distribution, the benefit of this is entirely lost on me. Sure, you can make all the LESS files a part of the graphics kit, that would help those who use LESS. However making this some sort of requirement is strange.

And I wish people would stop talking about LESS variables because they are variables only for those who have no clue what a variable is.
Its a requirement for development purposes for us not for the end user, with the added benifit for any user who can work with LESS (front-end Designers/Developers)