Improve the "Attachment settings" in ACP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
M.Gaetan89

Improve the "Attachment settings" in ACP

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Hello,

I just installed phpBB3.1-b2 and started to configure it and now I have a couple of suggestions for the "Attachment settings" in the ACP.
I have a couple of small suggestions, and if they are fine for I, I can create the tickets and PRs.

First, it would be nice to support bigger file size than Mib in the select menus, next to the max size fields. I think that at least "Total attachment quota" could use the Gib file size.
Second, why doesn't the "Minimum thumbnail file size" setting have the same select menu for the size ? The default value could then be "12 Kb" instead of "12000 Bytes". This is also true in "Avatar settings", for the "Maximum avatar file size" setting.

What do you think about these small improvments?

Gaëtan

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Improve the "Attachment settings" in ACP

Post by DavidIQ »

For one of my sites I use shared hosting, which is cheap and reliable, and I get all of 1 GB of server space. Your "Total attachment quota" suggestion wouldn't work for that case and the many other admins in the same situation.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I am just suggesting to add the "Gb" option in the dropdown list. The admin would still be able to choose b, kb, or mb the same as before ;)

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Sure, these fields should also use the usual framework for generating filesize dropdowns. Feel free to create a ticket and fix it.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I created the issue: PHPBB-12340 (I almost got issue 12345 :-P).
I will submit a PR as soon as I can.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

@ M.Gaetan89 - Good idea... And thanks for implementing ;-)

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Agreed. I don't think many boards would use it, but with the costs of hosting going down and down... it might be good, if nothing else... just to be future-proof.