Extensions New ACP Module Auth

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Blitze

Extensions New ACP Module Auth

Post by Blitze »

I recently came across the below topic which suggests that for extensions that create modules in UCP/MCP/ACP, the extension author needs to add something like 'auth' => 'ext_vendor/foobar' to their module info files so the modules don't show up when the extension is inactive.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2222606

I get the idea of why we need this but what I don't get is why we put the burden on the extension author to do this. Extension modules are created using migrations so why can't the migrator add this automatically? Is there a scenario in which it would be permissible for an extension to not include this? Because if there isn't, we can simply have the migrator add this as it creates the modules (I'm assuming, of course, that the migrator has access to the extension name (vendor/foobar) as it installs the extension, or does it not?).

What do you think?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Extensions New ACP Module Auth

Post by nickvergessen »

Extensions can add modules that still work when the extension is disabled. This would not be possible otherwise.
Also it is a one time job to fix this. The mod team will check it for submissions so when stuff is in the CDB it is working as intended ;)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

EXreaction

Re: Extensions New ACP Module Auth

Post by EXreaction »

The migrator does not have access to the extension name (and the individual migrator tools--modules, config, etc--have even less than the migrator itself), which is why we had to set it up this way instead of do it automatically.