Prosilver redesign

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Darkness_demoN

Re: Prosilver redesign

Post by Darkness_demoN »

NORDLANDVOLK wrote:What do you think?

i think "Jump to:" must be in a modalbox just like in IPB and XenForo.
quick mode button +1

Blue border -10 That will make so much unused space ... In these days we need to scrol half hower to go to the butom on page :D whit your borders we will need 1 hour :D

I will try to make this days one or 2 style ideas :)

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Master_Cylinder wrote:There is talk of a new style but some of us think that should be a secondary style, not for replacing prosilver but to add with it. Prosilver just needs a few tweaks, imho...
Prosilver should be fine for phpbb the current way it is. Maybe a few tweaks or add more enhancement using bootstrap if possible. But if phpbb is going to adapt AngularJS Framework in the future (which I love the idea) then we might be better of working on a new style rather than editing prosilver, changing the template files, creating views and controllers in templates for angularjs, etc..etc.. which will be a bit of work itself. At the stage I think it maybe easier to create new style for angular and we can even add bootstrap to it since bootstrap works with Angular too. When that time comes, it will be really exciting and this will give a whole new awesomeness to phpbb.

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

Darkness_demoN wrote: quick mode button +1

Blue border -10 That will make so much unused space ... In these days we need to scrol half hower to go to the butom on page :D whit your borders we will need 1 hour :D

I will try to make this days one or 2 style ideas :)
Sory cos i dont explain more about that border not only to you.

So what is about that border,i try to hide differente style if you look at the button "Post Reply" and the one close to hem you will see cos has amost the same style but in the same row is Search option and pagination with differente styile and in my opinion (but is just me) the border hide that differente style so is no more "fly object" all over the place.

I hope this image will explain much better.(Dont wories about image cos i cut to see much better ).

sorry for my bad english :oops:

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

The thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that while you may like the look of prosilver, and we were able to hack in some responsive features. Their are way more reasons to create a new theme then just the visual ugliness of prosilver.

The fact of the matter is the code base has become antiquated. The entirety of the html needs rewrote and the css needs completely rewritten to be cleaner and more organized not to mention modernized, weather you still want to keep the visual appeal of prosilver or not, to allow for phpbb to progress into the modern era of the web. We also need to build it as a mobile first theme to truly take advantage of responsive design.

Instead of being able to spend time on progressive improvements we have to hack the theme into submission which is not always easy.

I get that people do not like change but the fact is that change is a necessary thing and adaptation is the key to progression. We can totally create a theme that still has the prosilver feel to it without having to use any of the original code.

I do like the idea of angular.js and ajax everything...

As far as bootstrap goes. I am half and half on that one its come along way recently, but it still lacks in my experience true organization. I do not feel that bootstrap should be used as is but customized into a framework that we can get behind for the future of phpbb.

Let me clarify.

instead of including the entire bootstrap file we should instead only use what we need as individual objects. As well as further divide/separate those into a better system of organization. a theme consists of several pieces if you look at Atomic design. objects which are like your models in an MVC, components which would be your controllers, and pages which would be your views.

example of what i mean all the buttons in prosilver should be an object called button. all posts would be a component made up of several objects like the button class. Then at times we need to alter the appearance or placement of these components based on the page or. IE how is a post display differently from a viewtopic compared to a post preview page their might be a slight style change.

Then their are subtle changes like a simple color change to a button(IE different color or size of button) in one section as apposed to a different kind of button in another these would rely on override classes referred to as atoms, think of these as modifiers

This allows for far better code management as well as extensibility as everything is its own object and can be separated out into its own css file to be combined/minified/gzipped and cached someway via the core.

Its still quite early on, but I have been working on something along these lines for a month or so now https://github.com/hanakin/mino if you want to check it out or provide some feedback.

One of the other big things we need to allow for is the breaking of the mold. We need to allow for the in how things function and what is needed from a UI outlook. IE is it acceptable in some cases to add an extra click if it saves screen real-estate, is the feature really utilized, or is their a better paradigm for how the system should function.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Alien_Time wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:There is talk of a new style but some of us think that should be a secondary style, not for replacing prosilver but to add with it. Prosilver just needs a few tweaks, imho...
Prosilver should be fine for phpbb the current way it is. Maybe a few tweaks or add more enhancement using bootstrap if possible. But if phpbb is going to adapt AngularJS Framework in the future (which I love the idea) then we might be better of working on a new style rather than editing prosilver, changing the template files, creating views and controllers in templates for angularjs, etc..etc.. which will be a bit of work itself. At the stage I think it maybe easier to create new style for angular and we can even add bootstrap to it since bootstrap works with Angular too. When that time comes, it will be really exciting and this will give a whole new awesomeness to phpbb.
Maybe I misunderstood EXreaction's comment when he said "Also I don't think there is any use for bootstrap in an existing style, only if a new one is designed" but I took that to mean that bootstrap wouldn't be used in prosilver and that it would only be used in a "new style" and I still think that a new style should be secondary or downloadable until it becomes popular enough to replace prosilver. *Maybe* he meant until prosilver is redesigned but prosilver should be the default style for the sake of continuity. Whatever "new style" is made there will be some that like it and some that don't so a completely "new style" shouldn't be a replacement.
hanakin wrote:Their are way more reasons to create a new theme then just the visual ugliness of prosilver.
I don't think prosilver is ugly at all and that's the problem with replacing it; whatever new style that *somebody* picks, others will also think the new one is ugly. While some might be against a secondary style, I think it's still a better idea than replacing prosilver with a new unknown style. If or when a "new style" becomes more popular than prosilver, THEN it could replace it. That makes more sense than stirring up a hornets' nest by taking out prosilver that many people still like and are used to. If a secondary style is out of the question then the new style should be downloadable but still not a replacement until it's better received and accepted.
hanakin wrote: We can totally create a theme that still has the prosilver feel to it without having to use any of the original code.
THAT might be more acceptable and cause fewer people to freak out.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

hanakin wrote:Its still quite early on, but I have been working on something along these lines for a month or so now https://github.com/hanakin/mino if you want to check it out or provide some feedback.
I am speechless. Keep up the great work! I know how difficult it is to try to develop a new phpbb theme from scratch. I tried it myself using http://getuikit.com , also a new, pretty awesome css framework, but then I had to give up because of lack of time. I hope you wont and you will provide us the great modern style that we can use to build another styles.

Master_Cylinder

No offense but there's a lot about that style that I don't like and I'd never download it to install based on what I see there. That's the problem with picking a completely new style, they're subjective. Perhaps if it were more like prosilver it'd be an option but not as is....not for me.
These kids today...

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I am talking about the way it is created. It uses modern techniques and it is much better written then prosilver. It does not matter how does it look, you can always change colors / elements, you can even customize it to look like prosilver, but techniques is what matters. Please dont downvote everything before understanding it. He is creating exactly what we need, modern, progressive, well written, easily customizable style which can become a base for many others styles, which can look totally different.

Master_Cylinder

I don't care about the underlying code of a *style* as much as how it looks and acts and I'll vote and downvote as I see fit. We're talking about redesigning prosilver and I don't like much of what I see so far. He said it himself, "We can totally create a theme that still has the prosilver feel to it without having to use any of the original code" but his example isn't it. You might like it but that doesn't mean everyone will.
These kids today...

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't care about the underlying code of a *style* as much as how it looks and acts and I'll vote and downvote as I see fit. We're talking about redesigning prosilver and I don't like much of what I see so far. He said it himself, "We can totally create a theme that still has the prosilver feel to it without having to use any of the original code" but his example isn't it. You might like it but that doesn't mean everyone will.
Master first of all the theme look is not what I am focusing on at the moment. Its a default look i took from the laravel site with phpbb colors thrown in to make development easier and faster. The code as you put it "I don't care about the underlying code of a *style*" well the fact is that that comes across as inexperience. I am not saying that you are, but the code is more important a part in the early stages and needs the same if not more care then the look and feel does later on. I am focusing on establishing a clean html base to build upon. I am also tackling trying to develop a scaleable framework to tackle the css. I have not put alot into the design other than mobile first responsiveness and testing out ideas for features. As I stated in my origianl post its all modular which means everything is a separate piece that fits together as a whole.

Once that is said and done it is completely possible to make the theme look almost identical to phpbb if you so please. I never set out for this to be a replacement for prosilver. I set out to make a theme that is usable by front-end professionals

I am not sure what your background is but to address your comments about loving prosilver. That is fine for you and yes you can not please everyone and I am not out to please everyone that is that my job or goal. Simply responding to every new idea concept to improve the code base to say the same thing over and over again only slows down progress. Instead please provide feedback as to what specifically you do not like about something.

Again I never stated that what I am working on is going to be released with phpbb or replace prosilver. That is not my call I am working on it as a personal project for my own reasons.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image