Prosilver redesign

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Kamahl19

Re: Prosilver redesign

Post by Kamahl19 »

Yet another ruined topic by Cylinder. Great work, we can really close this forum. I would just give you 2 warnings for 2 fights and then a permanent ban. I really dont understand why is the stuff so tolerant even when probably think the same as Pony99CA wrote. VSE+ wrote perfectly good idea. If we wont get new style based on new technology, it would be great to redesign prosilver to use useful technology such as LESS (or SASS but LESS is more simple for people who never worked with both of them, so I would rather choose LESS for style developers). He said, we need to provide style developers easier way to customize prosilver and create new styles, because everybody liked something else (thats what you like to repeat). So why are you also against his post? :D It looks like you just HAVE TO respond against everything - and that is not expressing your opinion but picking a quarrel.

+1 to VSE, I would really love to see LESS in prosilver.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It takes two or more people to argue.

It's really disappointing to see the ridiculous arguments over trivial items here. They are not productive to anyone, they waste your time and our time and make our community look bad.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Master since we can abbr., those points have some merit but have been beaten to death and discussed at length in several other topics throughout the years on these forums. Those of us who have been around for a while remember them and what was decided based on them. The results of those debates has always ended up with the fact that we need something new for maintainability and advancement since in order to maintain the look of a prosilver over several years, we as the community who develop it need to be able to easily understand and work with the code that drives it. That is the biggest reason for the changes. I understand you may not have been around during this realization and have a lack of the skills to understand this but, the fact that we need a new codebase has been establish several times before but never really addressed because its a big project and their are underlying changes to phpbb itself that needed and still need to be addressed to be able to tackle it.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

EXreaction wrote:It takes two or more people to argue.

It's really disappointing to see the ridiculous arguments over trivial items here. They are not productive to anyone, they waste your time and our time and make our community look bad.
Agreed. Please keep the discussion to the redesign of prosilver. If it continues, it's going to lead to warnings and/or bans.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

NORDLANDVOLK: can you create a PR for hidding all the sorting options under a button? I'd prefer Sort as button text, but thats not that important
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

nickvergessen wrote:NORDLANDVOLK: can you create a PR for hidding all the sorting options under a button? I'd prefer Sort as button text, but thats not that important
Im not understand what is "PR" but nevermaind,here is the code:

create new html file and name viewtopic_topic_tools1.html

Code: Select all

<div class="dropdown-container dropdown-button-control topic-tools">
		<span title="{L_TOPIC_TOOLS}" class="dropdown-trigger dropdown-select dropdown-select-icon ">Display<span></span></span>
		<div class="dropdown hidden">
			<div class="pointer"><div class="pointer-inner"></div></div>
			<ul class="dropdown-contents">
                <li>
                <!-- IF S_NUM_POSTS > 1 or U_PREVIOUS_PAGE or U_NEXT_PAGE -->
	<form id="viewtopic" method="post" action="{S_TOPIC_ACTION}">

<fieldset class="display-options" style="margin-top: 0; ">

<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->
		<label>{L_DISPLAY_POSTS}{L_COLON} {S_SELECT_SORT_DAYS}</label>
		<label>{L_SORT_BY} {S_SELECT_SORT_KEY}</label> <label>{S_SELECT_SORT_DIR}</label>
		<input type="submit" name="sort" value="{L_GO}" class="button2" />
		<!-- ENDIF -->
	</fieldset>

</form>
<!-- ENDIF -->

</li>

</ul>
		</div>
	</div>
Search and delete in viewtopic_body.html:

<!-- IF U_PREVIOUS_PAGE --><a href="{U_PREVIOUS_PAGE}" class="left-box arrow-{S_CONTENT_FLOW_BEGIN}">{L_PREVIOUS}</a><!-- ENDIF -->
		<!-- IF U_NEXT_PAGE --><a href="{U_NEXT_PAGE}" class="right-box arrow-{S_CONTENT_FLOW_END}">{L_NEXT}</a><!-- ENDIF -->
		<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->
		<label>{L_SORT_BY} {S_SELECT_SORT_KEY}</label> <label>{S_SELECT_SORT_DIR}</label>
		<!-- ENDIF -->
	</fieldset>

</form>
	<hr />
<!-- ENDIF -->
find:

<!-- INCLUDE viewtopic_topic_tools.html -->
after add:

<!-- INCLUDE viewtopic_topic_tools1.html --><!-- ENDIF -->
Search:

<!-- IF .pagination or TOTAL_POSTS -->
		<div class="pagination">
			{TOTAL_POSTS} &bull;
			<!-- IF .pagination -->
				<!-- INCLUDE pagination.html -->
			<!-- ELSE -->
				{PAGE_NUMBER}
			<!-- ENDIF -->
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
Replace with:

<!-- IF .pagination or TOTAL_POSTS -->
		<div class="pagination">
        <!-- IF U_PREVIOUS_PAGE --><a href="{U_PREVIOUS_PAGE}" class="left-box arrow-{S_CONTENT_FLOW_BEGIN}">{L_PREVIOUS}&nbsp;&nbsp;</a><!-- ENDIF -->
			{TOTAL_POSTS} &bull;
			<!-- IF .pagination -->
				<!-- INCLUDE pagination.html -->
			<!-- ELSE -->
				{PAGE_NUMBER}
			<!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF U_NEXT_PAGE --><a href="{U_NEXT_PAGE}" class="right-box arrow-{S_CONTENT_FLOW_END}">&nbsp;&nbsp;{L_NEXT}</a><!-- ENDIF -->
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
it is just a test up to you if use or upgrade.
sorry for my bad english :oops:

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

or you can put this code direct in viewtopic_body.html without to create viewtopic_topic_tools1.html

<!-- IF S_NUM_POSTS > 1 or U_PREVIOUS_PAGE or U_NEXT_PAGE --><div class="dropdown-container dropdown-button-control topic-tools">
      <span title="{L_TOPIC_TOOLS}" class="dropdown-trigger dropdown-select dropdown-select-icon ">Display<span></span></span>
      <div class="dropdown hidden">
         <div class="pointer"><div class="pointer-inner"></div></div>
         <ul class="dropdown-contents">
                <li>

<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->
      <!-- ENDIF -->
   </fieldset>

</form>
<!-- ENDIF -->

</li>

</ul>
      </div>
   </div><!-- ENDIF -->
sory for duble post
sorry for my bad english :oops:

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

hanakin wrote:Master since we can abbr., those points have some merit but have been beaten to death and discussed at length in several other topics throughout the years on these forums. Those of us who have been around for a while remember them and what was decided based on them. The results of those debates has always ended up with the fact that we need something new for maintainability and advancement since in order to maintain the look of a prosilver over several years, we as the community who develop it need to be able to easily understand and work with the code that drives it. That is the biggest reason for the changes. I understand you may not have been around during this realization and have a lack of the skills to understand this but, the fact that we need a new codebase has been establish several times before but never really addressed because its a big project and their are underlying changes to phpbb itself that needed and still need to be addressed to be able to tackle it.
New topic, new debate. What others supposedly decided years ago has nothing to do with my opinions about redesigning prosilver today. "Redesigning" can mean simple tweaks or it can mean a complete overhaul.

I understand the DESIRE for something totally new and as long as the "new" thing isn't going to cause much drama, like radically altering the way it looks and feels then I already said that would be more acceptable. I also understand how a new secondary style might be problematic but if the new one doesn't look and feel like the old one then it'd be better to maintain 2 styles than to *replace* prosilver with something that visually different. I'd rather have a few tweaks to existing prosilver than radically different look and feel that replaces it. Not everyone is for replacing it and I like the buttons that NORDLANDVOLK proposed.

If we have two styles then we can both have what we want.
If the new one looks and feels like the old one, we both get what we want.

I'd rather have win-win. ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If a new style would be designed, a similar process would likely happen that did when prosilver was introduced. It was a pretty different design from subsilver and was pretty hated for a while, but then everyone loved it and other BBS's copied us. ;)

We've had these two styles for a while and are finally deprecating ss2 many years later. There is at least one style built on prosilver that looks extremely similar to subsilver as well, which would likely happen if we were to make a new style from scratch (someone would make it look like prosilver).

A new style is a long ways off if it ever happens (someone needs to be willing and able to do it).

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

EXreaction wrote:If a new style would be designed, a similar process would likely happen that did when prosilver was introduced. It was a pretty different design from subsilver and was pretty hated for a while, but then everyone loved it and other BBS's copied us. ;)

We've had these two styles for a while and are finally deprecating ss2 many years later. There is at least one style built on prosilver that looks extremely similar to subsilver as well, which would likely happen if we were to make a new style from scratch (someone would make it look like prosilver).

A new style is a long ways off if it ever happens (someone needs to be willing and able to do it).
So, are you saying that if a new style is introduced it would likely be a secondary style until such time that prosilver would be depreciated like subsilver2? If *that's* the case then I have no problem with that and that IS what I've suggested.

I suspected that it wouldn't be in 3.2 either. ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol: