Upgrading phpBB 3.0.x with MODs to phpBB 3.1

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

Upgrading phpBB 3.0.x with MODs to phpBB 3.1

Post by leschek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:36 pm

I installed the phpBB 3.1 a2 on my localhost without any problem and so far it works, so I thought I try to duplicate one of mine 3.0 forums and try to convert it to 3.1. On the 3.0 forum are some MODs (plenty of them) and I was surprised that converter comparing new and old files (I thought MODs will not work on 3.1). So I finished conversion to 3.1, but have some problems with files (errors in includes/function_xxx.php files). I checked files, fixed a few lines (there were duplicated lines), but it just showed me error in another file so I decided to replace it with default 3.1 files. It was late night and it seemed to work, but now I cannot login into the upgraded 3.1 forum and when I click on post with pictures I get this error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined method bbcode::anchor_pass() in /xxxxxxx/yyyyyyyy/zzzzzzz/forum1_phpBB31/includes/bbcode.php(110) : regexp code on line 1
Now I'm not asking for help to fix that (it's only test forum), I just would like to know what will be the best way to update phpBB 3.0.x to 3.1. I mean MODs (and styles) from 3.0.x doesn't work on 3.1, but updater still offer me to merge differences from old and new files. Wouldn't be better and safer for users to make converter like from 2.0 to 3.0, so users will end with two versions of the same forum?

Edit: When I selected Remember me option first I was able to login to forum, but ACP is snowy white and when I try to change something (time zone) in UCP I get:

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Upgrading phpBB 3.0.x with MODs to phpBB 3.1

Post by VSE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 pm

It depends on the MODs, but for the most part, they will break a phpBB 3.1 board.

You have to remove/uninstall the MODs before updating (undo the file edits and delete their files, but you do not have to undo any database changes), and then update to phpBB 3.1. Then, if any of those MODs have already been updated to extensions, you can install them as extensions.

Otherwise, you have to bite the bullet and realize that if any of your MODs don't or won't exist as extensions, then their functionality will be gone from your board by upgrading to 3.1.
Has an irascible disposition.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 am

I like the idea of having the upgrade path like going from 2.0 to 3.0

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 pm

The upgrade path from 2.0 to 3.0 only upgraded the database and did not involve any file merges or edits. The same should probably be the case going from 3.0 to 3.1.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 am

DavidIQ wrote:The upgrade path from 2.0 to 3.0 only upgraded the database and did not involve any file merges or edits. The same should probably be the case going from 3.0 to 3.1.
I second that, less issues with files merge and such.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 am

Remember that this is an Alpha build, so there's no upgrade path. As David said, there probably will be a database converter for boards by release time, but it will only support a few MODs (if any -- likely features in phpBB 3.1 that required MODs in phpBB 3.0). The question is when the converter will be available -- Beta, RC or release only? And will migrations make it simpler so that we'll get it sooner (and it will support upgrading from one pre-release version to another)?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

leschek

Post by leschek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for replies.

After a few tries I was able to almost successfully convert the 3.0 with MODs to 3.1 a2. As VSE+ suggested here I prepared the files of 3.0.12 forum, so there were not any code changes in files (I deleted all files except config.php and folders with pictures and attachments from the server and uploaded there fresh phpBB 3.0.12). Forum was working (except the problem with BBCode mentioned in the first post - I guess it's caused by installed Advanced BBCode Box 3), so I created new directory for 3.1 forum, uploaded there phpBB 3.1 a2 files and replaced config.php from 3.0.12 forum. Then I updated database, so I should have working 3.1 a2 forum. Unfortunately I haven't. I still had problems with some MODs in database. It took me while to figure out that before I try to upgrade forum to 3.1 a2 I have to uninstall Advanced Multi Language Pack Support MOD otherwise I will not be able to login to the forum and disable all panels in UCP and ACP added by installed MODs. After that I upgraded to 3.1 a2 and was able to login to forum and go to ACP and UCP.
Pony99CA wrote:Remember that this is an Alpha build, so there's no upgrade path
Yes, I know. I just wanted to test what happen if I try to convert forum with MODs. I also hoped that I can provide some useful feedback to developers.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 pm

What was the exact behavior/error with the database changes still in place for the Advanced Multi Language Pack Support MOD?

leschek

Post by leschek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is the error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method bbcode::anchor_pass() in /home/angrezph/public_html/forum1_phpBB31/includes/bbcode.php(110) : regexp code on line 1
Here you can see it live on the 3.1 forum and on 3.0.12 forum without edited files.

I use anchor bbcode a lot and when I click on page where it is used I get the error on the top, but if the topic have more pages without anchor bbcode it works (example).

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 am

leschek wrote:Here is the error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method bbcode::anchor_pass() in /home/angrezph/public_html/forum1_phpBB31/includes/bbcode.php(110) : regexp code on line 1
Here you can see it live on the 3.1 forum and on 3.0.12 forum without edited files.

I use anchor bbcode a lot and when I click on page where it is used I get the error on the top, but if the topic have more pages without anchor bbcode it works (example).
That's a break due to Advanced BBCode Box 3 - definitely NOT a MOD you can use with phpBB 3.1 (it's being updated for 3.1, and fyi, as of now, the anchor bbcode will not be a surviving feature).

Until ABBC3 the extension is available, if you are updating to 3.1 you have to remove all database changes by that MOD (which will also mean losing all its BBCodes)...otherwise you have to wait for ABBC3 the extension before even considering updating the board to 3.1 (if you want to keep most of the old BBCodes and not break all the old posts)
Has an irascible disposition.