Support for tags in posts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
aleha

Support for tags in posts

Post by aleha »

I am surprised no one has mentioned this. Extensions could make good usage of them.
I know we are on feature freeze but if this should be an extension then it must be just one (to rule them all :D) and maybe later integrate it in the core.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed RFC tag. This seems like discussion material at the moment.

Master_Cylinder

Re: [RFC] Support for tags in posts

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I've seen forums that had tags (presumably for SEO/SERP) but I don't really care, either way...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Re: Support for tags in posts

Post by Pony99CA »

I'm pretty sure that tags have been discussed either here or at phpBB.com. They could be useful. However, should posts have tags or should topics? I think that I would rather see topics have tags that people could add to, but not delete (except maybe for the original topic starter).

Search would have to work with tags, too, which might be a good reason to have them allowed for individual posts, but I'm not sure.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

I think only topics should have then.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Define tag. Where do tags show up? What do they do? How are they added? Should you be able to filter/sort by tag? As Steve asked, do they apply to individual posts or topics as a whole?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.