Automatic Resizing of Uploaded Avatars

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
doenwenu

Re: Automatic Resizing of Uploaded Avatars

Post by doenwenu »

Kamahl19 wrote:Resizing avatar is part of process of uploading avatar. And this process of uploading is really simple, it does not include even resizing avatar. Thats what I meant.
I would rather remove the whole uploading avatar system from phpbb and replace it with gravatar.
Gravatar is ugly. Why you like this option?

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

I think this needs a little bit of caution if it's ever going to be implemented. Let's say that the maximum dimensions for uploaded avatars are 120x120 pixels and the maximum file size is 12.00 KiB.

1. What happens if you upload an image greater than 12 kilobytes? Does it get rejected or does the system try to lower its quality and/or file size?
2. What happens when the system resizes an image greater than the 120x120 pixels limit, and its file size is still above the limit? Does it get rejected or does the system try to lower its quality and/or file size?
3. And if the images are not rejected according to the file size limit, then when are they rejected? When they are over php's upload_max_filesize? And if that is the case and the upload_max_filesize is 10 megabytes, does that mean that users will be able to upload 9MB images?
4. When a user uploads a larger image he will have a legitimate expectation to see it uploaded without any quality loss since going from bigger to smaller shouldn't affect the quality. What if the resized image is above the file size limit and the system lowers the quality of the uploaded avatar?

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Louis7777 wrote:And if the images are not rejected according to the file size limit, then when are they rejected? When they are over php's upload_max_filesize? And if that is the case and the upload_max_filesize is 10 megabytes, does that mean that users will be able to upload 9MB images?
There is a javascript library to resize images on the client side. This will reduce the load on the server and immediately show view avatars given the limitations, to upload to the server.
Last edited by Sumanai on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my English.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Sumanai wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:And if the images are not rejected according to the file size limit, then when are they rejected? When they are over php's upload_max_filesize? And if that is the case and the upload_max_filesize is 10 megabytes, does that mean that users will be able to upload 9MB images?
There is a javascript library to resize images on the client side. This will reduce the load on the server and immediately show posvolit view avatars given the limitations, to upload to the server.
JavaScript or not, the user should definitely see a preview of the avatar (or any image, for that matter) before it gets uploaded (with a message saying that the avatar was too large and has been resized).

Steve

P.S. What does "posvolit" mean?
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Do not pay attention, English is not my native language.
Sorry for my English.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

doenwenu wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:Resizing avatar is part of process of uploading avatar. And this process of uploading is really simple, it does not include even resizing avatar. Thats what I meant.
I would rather remove the whole uploading avatar system from phpbb and replace it with gravatar.
Gravatar is ugly. Why you like this option?
Gravatar is simply a service that displays an avatar and phpBB was modified to accommodate using this service. It's not "ugly" by any means but in any case...who cares what it looks like if all it does is serve up an image, at least as far as the forum itself is concerned? :roll: