Automatic Resizing of Uploaded Avatars

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Automatic Resizing of Uploaded Avatars

Post by keith10456 »

This hasn't been implemented?! This is a shocker because in 2014 the average Internet user wouldn't think (if they even know how) they would have to re-size their image to use it as an avatar.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Nope, not as far as I can see Keith. On my RC2 test board even I couldn't be bothered resizing an image to use as an avatar until I'd already opened Photoshop for something else later.

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

keith10456 wrote:This hasn't been implemented?! This is a shocker because in 2014 the average Internet user wouldn't think (if they even know how) they would have to re-size their image to use it as an avatar.
Far as i know was never been implemented in phpbb.
About automatic resizing uploaded avatar phpbb is in stone age.
sorry for my bad english :oops:

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

I have to agree. I notice this in the tracker, but no good news? https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11207

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I think you need to more clearly define what you are looking for cause its vary vague.

you want the ability to size an image upon upload that is to say you select an image, then specify the dimension you want it upload as?

the use of gravatar IMO should be the default option in PHPBB as it is with most of the web these days but we should still allow for an uploading option as well. As far as resizing I do not think it should be up to the user. The upload should save the avatar at set sizes based on the settings in the ACP. for example lets say I set a max size on avatars to 100x100 then what ever is upload by the user should be scaled to fit that. It should also save a half size version for use on smaller screens as well.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

hanakin wrote:I think you need to more clearly define what you are looking for cause its vary vague.
The upload should save the avatar at set sizes based on the settings in the ACP. for example lets say I set a max size on avatars to 100x100 then what ever is upload by the user should be scaled to fit that.
This. Or to explain again...When a user uploads an avatar, the image is resized. Not just visually, but resized as far as compressed in pixel size and file size.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Just gone to upload an avatar on my own site again. Still I have to open a program to resize the one I want to use first. :cry:

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Volksdevil wrote:
hanakin wrote:I think you need to more clearly define what you are looking for cause its vary vague.
The upload should save the avatar at set sizes based on the settings in the ACP. for example lets say I set a max size on avatars to 100x100 then what ever is upload by the user should be scaled to fit that.
This. Or to explain again...When a user uploads an avatar, the image is resized. Not just visually, but resized as far as compressed in pixel size and file size.
There are already maximum dimensions that you can define in the ACP, like hanakin pointed out, and you can also set maximum file size.

So you - as a user - resize your image to be under that limit in order to be able to upload it, isn't that right?

What the OP wants instead, is to be able to upload whatever image (even if it is above those limits) and the system will resize it and bring it right below those limits. Correct?

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Yes, that's what I and the OP want. I don't want to have to resize an image with a program on my computer.

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

Louis7777 wrote: So you - as a user - resize your image to be under that limit in order to be able to upload it, isn't that right?

What the OP wants instead, is to be able to upload whatever image (even if it is above those limits) and the system will resize it and bring it right below those limits. Correct?
Yes, cos resizing from ACP has nothing to do with resizing image only in forum post will resizing but not on uploding avatar so will be nice to have this option.
Last edited by NORDLANDVOLK on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for my bad english :oops: