porting 3.0 mods to 3.1 extensions...

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: porting 3.0 mods to 3.1 extensions...

Post by DavidIQ »

asinshesq wrote:Will we still allow modx style mods with validation?? Or will those be history (other than on hack sites)?
We are not planning on accepting MODs that require edits at this time. The hope is that if a MOD requires an event somewhere that doesn't have an event that the event request is made and that there are more frequent releases of phpBB to address the lack of events.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

That's what I thought,and thanks for the clarification.
Alan

aleha

Post by aleha »

Is there an event for when warning a user?

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

At the moment there is no such event.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

That's not what I meant. What I meant was if the Development Team doesn't see a need for a particular event, then the MOD Team should allow Extensions that require core edits. This has nothing to do with approved/unapproved MODs.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

t_backoff wrote:That's not what I meant. What I meant was if the Development Team doesn't see a need for a particular event, then the MOD Team should allow Extensions that require core edits. This has nothing to do with approved/unapproved MODs.
Extensions to do not require core edits, thats the definition of extensions. Everything that requires editing the core is still a modification.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

OK, but I can see that a MOD getting denied with the reason "Use the extension system" and there not being the required events. Which brings me back to my original question - what do we do then?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

We will find a way, once the problem arises. ;)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

In general, if you can prove that you need an event in a specific place (i.e. no other events will do what you need efficiently) it will probably be added. I can't think of a reason not to add an event besides another event already being available to do what you need.

As far as I am aware, we plan to release more frequently (if needed) to add events so that if an extension does need an event in order to work, it will just have to wait until it is made available in a new release.

If needed, we can provide the event code to insert for the Extension developer to have the event available on their test board so that they can work on their extension without having to wait.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Just to add, NOW is the time for MOD authors to start looking into porting their MODs over to extensions, so they can figure out if they will need to request new events be added to phpBB, so that they can be added now, before 3.1 is released, and while it is still in its developmental alpha/beta stages.
Has an irascible disposition.