Release cycle to 3.1.0

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
EXreaction

Release cycle to 3.1.0

Post by EXreaction » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm not sure if this was explicitly discussed previously, but since 3.1-a1 was now released, I think it's time to finalize the plans for the release cycle.

I'm not sure personally how much work goes into a release, but I was thinking that it might be good to try and target 3-6 weeks between releases until we reach 3.1.0. Not too quickly that we're wasting a lot of resources in making a release and not too long that users testing the latest release are running into major issues that have already been fixed.

Also, I would propose that we slightly adjust how we deal with blockers as well with moving towards a release cycle.

So far we've just gone by the way of making a release once all blockers have been addressed. This doesn't really work very well if we are going to want to get any sort of time frame as to when a release is going to be made (as we saw happen with A1).

For blockers that are on the different types of releases, e.g. blockers for Beta 1 when we're currently on Alpha, they should be addressed directly (either by fixing or deciding they can be pushed off) before that release can be made. This is just as we have now and I think must be kept this way as there are specific things that need to be addressed before we can go from Alpha to Beta, Beta to RC, etc. Instead if, say, a blocker isn't fixed for B1 and we're at the end of our window for a next release, we will simply release another Alpha.

Between the same types of releases, e.g. Alpha 1 -> Alpha 2, as long as the issue isn't a regression that came up during fixes since the last release and absolutely cannot be pushed off, I'd like to suggest that, when we get to the end of our release target window, we push the blockers off to the next release and make the release instead of wait to fix the blockers. I suggest this because the implied stability isn't changing between the same types of releases and we shouldn't stop a release that will fix other issues just because a bug that existed before still exists.

naderman
Consultant

Re: Release cycle to 3.1.0

Post by naderman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I agree with your proposal. I'd even go for 2-6 weeks, simply depending on how many changes have accrued in how long a time span, as you said, not too long for users to run into fixed issues and not too short to waste resources on releases. Blockers should be handled as you suggested.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Your proposal sounds fine to me.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:06 pm

I agree.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Same here.

Also if there is a big feature we want to merge, but not into 3.1 we will just branch of develop-ascraeus so we can merge it into develop
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 am

As a result of the "Responsive Design" merges, I would plan to have another Alpha in 7-14 days.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Arty

Post by Arty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 am

nickvergessen wrote:As a result of the "Responsive Design" merges, I would plan to have another Alpha in 7-14 days.
Don't forget responsive admin control panel! It is waiting to be merged :D
Formerly known as CyberAlien.

Free phpBB styles | Premium responsive XenForo styles