Remove Quote and Edit button when topic is lock

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Remove Quote and Edit button when topic is lock

Post by Meis2M »

Hi
this topic is locked
http://www.php-bb.ir/pic/images/8487156 ... 303862.png
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2172673

but still Quote and Edit button is showing to me.
when is i click on one of them i will see:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
i think it is better disappear these buttons when topic is locked.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Remove Quote and Edit button when topic is lock

Post by nickvergessen »

Make a ticket and send a PullRequest?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

But not for Moderators, ¿right?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Keep the buttons, but "gray" them out. If the user still clicks one, pop up a JavaScript error instead of moving to a new page (unless JavaScript is disabled, of course). Also change the tooltip to say "Replies not allowed because the topic is locked".

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

I would just remove then, no need to display then. Also the topic locked button doesn't need to be a link, I don't see a point.

Ger

Post by Ger »

The point is that moderators and administrators usually have permission to reply in locked topics.
Same goes with editing, a moderator may want to lock first (to prevent further posts) and then go editing the unwanted posts.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:Keep the buttons, but "gray" them out. If the user still clicks one, pop up a JavaScript error instead of moving to a new page (unless JavaScript is disabled, of course). Also change the tooltip to say "Replies not allowed because the topic is locked".

Steve
If anything I'd go with the tooltip and not do the JS alert at all but I think I'd lean more towards not showing them at all.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Keep the buttons, but "gray" them out. If the user still clicks one, pop up a JavaScript error instead of moving to a new page (unless JavaScript is disabled, of course). Also change the tooltip to say "Replies not allowed because the topic is locked".
If anything I'd go with the tooltip and not do the JS alert at all but I think I'd lean more towards not showing them at all.
Not seeing expected buttons can cause the user confusion. Showing them disabled lets the user know that the functions are available (in general), but not at this time in this topic. The reasoning is similar to why menu items in Windows get grayed out instead of removed.

Now if the user class doesn't allow the functions in general, then removing them is OK because the user would never be able to access them anyway (unless he was promoted to Moderator). However, that's not the case here.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I would say don't show them at all unless you have the correct (moderator) permissions to use them.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Before making any changes, I suggest searching for usability studies on disabling vs. hiding UI elements.

Steve