Remove Quote and Edit button when topic is lock

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Frug

Re: Remove Quote and Edit button when topic is lock

Post by Frug »

Graying them out is probably more consistent. I don't like popups but if the topic is locked my vote is for graying them out. I think Pony is right about usability. It's why a lot of online services still show you buttons to view your profile or shopping cart, but redirect you to a login page when you click on them.

IMO if the user is logged out they should be visible as well, and they should function the same as the reply button - by forwarding you to the login page.
Last edited by Frug on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We shouldn't display all those buttons as well for logged out users, just because they might be able to after logging in.

If we're trying to prevent confusion for users who can no longer edit something because another restriction is in place besides their permissions (e.g. the topic is locked), greying them out seems reasonable, but this shouldn't be a shortcut for every available option if users are not currently logged in.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Maybe we should look at how IP.Board or some other software does it, in some theme they are grayed out or marked with a red background over the text "This topic is locked".

emosbat

Post by emosbat »

gray out or insert a simple javascript alert that tell user should login/ or have permission... in this way do not need lot of edition in current code:

<a href="...." onclick="alert('you must login to do this....'); return false;">
<a href="...." onclick="alert('you have not enough permission....'); return false;">
<a href="...." onclick="alert('topic closed'); return false;">
etc.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

alerts are really not suitable for this kind of things...

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I'd remove them completely (except for moderators, as we said). If the topic is locked, is locked, and the "locked" button would be displayed as it is right now, at the end and beginning of the topic.

If people look for these buttons and don't find them they'll inmediately know that the topic is locked. There is no point in displaying 20 buttons if you can't use them.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Jacob wrote:I'd remove them completely (except for moderators, as we said). If the topic is locked, is locked, and the "locked" button would be displayed as it is right now, at the end and beginning of the topic.
If somebody links directly to a post in the middle of the page, the Locked buttons may well not be visible. Showing grayed Quote and Edit buttons provides useful information.
Jacob wrote: If people look for these buttons and don't find them they'll inmediately know that the topic is locked. There is no point in displaying 20 buttons if you can't use them.
As the buttons still seem to be graphics, they should be cached, so there's not as much penalty as your statement might imply.
paulus wrote:alerts are really not suitable for this kind of things...
Why not? They're better than going to a completely different page for a message that just tells you that the topic is locked.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

If any change is made, I agree with either greying out the buttons. Removing the buttons in this case for users that would normally be able to perform such actions in the forum would lead to confusion and a waste of time figuring out what the issue is. Or we could replace the buttons with text like "This topic is locked. Posts cannot be edited and replies cannot be created." or something like that. But I'd lean toward just greying out the buttons.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

imkingdavid wrote: Removing the buttons in this case for users that would normally be able to perform such actions in the forum would lead to confusion and a waste of time figuring out what the issue is.
You're absolutely right
+1

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

imkingdavid wrote:If any change is made, I agree with either greying out the buttons. Removing the buttons in this case for users that would normally be able to perform such actions in the forum would lead to confusion and a waste of time figuring out what the issue is.
The first time. Then you would know that the topic is locked, so no confusion or waste of time from then on.

Currently there is only 1 reason for not seeing the buttons as far as I'm aware: you are not logged.
With the buttons removed there would be 2 reasons. Not a lot of chances for confusion, I think.
  • I'm I logged in?
    • Yes. Then the topic is locked.
    • No. Then I need to log in.
There is another reason: if you don't have permissions to post in that subforum, but there will be no change in that case.
Pony99CA wrote:
Jacob wrote:If people look for these buttons and don't find them they'll inmediately know that the topic is locked. There is no point in displaying 20 buttons if you can't use them.
As the buttons still seem to be graphics, they should be cached, so there's not as much penalty as your statement might imply.
Yeah, not performance-wise, but they'll still be visible. Why have a portion of the screen occupied with useless information? For me, I know you think it is usefull.

But whatever, it's not such a big deal.