search as type suggestions to threads on the same subject

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
tpcr

search as type suggestions to threads on the same subject

Post by tpcr »

What about a reccomended database search as the member types their question and provide possible amswers if in the database for their query

or

bring up a box or page with suggestions to posts already in the database for their query after they click on Preview or Submit if no suggested matches found automaticaly post the query

imkingdavid

Re: search as type suggestions to threads on the same subject

Post by imkingdavid »

This could have a huge performance impact on the database, particularly on large boards. Before we consider implementing something like this into the core, it is necessary that someone investigate the effect this may have on boards with lots of topics and lots of simultaneous users.

I would probably be most willing to go with option 2, as long as it could be turned off, but I'm not sure I'd like to have an extra step every time I want to post a topic. Often times, boards discourage reviving old threads, and I feel that this sort of feature would encourage people to do just that.

EDIT: There is a MOD for 3.0 (Precise Similar Topics II) that provides a similar functionality. It loads similar topics when viewing a topic. The functionality could be moved into the posting screen to perform the task requested in this topic.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

tpcr

Re: search as type suggestions to threads on the same subject

Post by tpcr »

imkingdavid wrote:This could have a huge performance impact on the database, particularly on large boards. Before we consider implementing something like this into the core, it is necessary that someone investigate the effect this may have on boards with lots of topics and lots of simultaneous users.

I would probably be most willing to go with option 2, as long as it could be turned off, but I'm not sure I'd like to have an extra step every time I want to post a topic. Often times, boards discourage reviving old threads, and I feel that this sort of feature would encourage people to do just that.

EDIT: There is a MOD for 3.0 (Precise Similar Topics II) that provides a similar functionality. It loads similar topics when viewing a topic. The functionality could be moved into the posting screen to perform the task requested in this topic.
Option 2 does sound the most viable way if it does not have a huge impact on the database.

I agree with a option to turn it on/off and I think in the ACP with default permissions set to off.

Something like this may be ok

:( My board is not large enough to do a real world test you refer to :(

That mod looks good and not sure how it could be modified to fit the criteria in this topic as I dont fully inderstand the coding as yet as I am a complete novice and learning all the time (thats why people like me leave that up to you experts) :)

I hope that someone with a large enough board can put this to the test as it would be nice to see the end result