New Admin redesign, see pic for draft, idea

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
stevenmw

Re: New Admin redesign, see pic for draft, idea

Post by stevenmw »

hanakin wrote:have not looked at the html for this but I would say the biggest plus for something like this would be for cleaning up and refactoring the none semantic code that is truncated in all phpbb theme files.
That was exactly my point. I wasn't trying to take away from the OP. I just didn't see how changing primarily the CSS aided in any of this.
Arty wrote: There are new tags like <header> <footer> <section> <article> <aside> and few others for semantics.

They give no real advantage and cause problems with IE8. There is a JS file to fix it for IE8 that can be included via IE conditional statement without affecting other browsers, but I don't see advantage of doing any of it.
You're right. Those are just semantics. They act just like any other div. The only real thing I see is organization, and maybe down the line they could play a part in SEO. I was just mentioning how the admin panel layout mentioned in this post neglected some html that could use some of the things mentioned by hanakin.

asperous
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by asperous »

Personally I like the idea, it's clean and fresh. Sadly, I doubt much of the team would consider merging it unless it was an entire theme for consistency. You might consider combining it with a whole theme such as 0mega.

Anyway, regardless of what you do or don't do with it, thanks for sharing your idea.

Edit: At the time of writing you are 4th for phpbb flat design, which shows how much phpbb lacks in taking part of this design trend :)

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

asperous wrote:Personally I like the idea, it's clean and fresh. Sadly, I doubt much of the team would consider merging it unless it was an entire theme for consistency.
Well I guess I wouldn't mind merging it in general.
There are somethings that need clearification, like does the font license work for phpbb, or do we make it via CDN

Then it needs some fixing: After that I'd like to see some more screenshots of special places like f.e. a group page, a permissions tab and the forum management section (the forum list) to see how it looks
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Frug

Post by Frug »

asperous wrote:Edit: At the time of writing you are 4th for phpbb flat design, which shows how much phpbb lacks in taking part of this design trend :)
Applying it to everything because it's a hot trend is a bad idea. Personally I think the admin panel looks pretty good and doesn't need 'flattening'. This proposal doesn't look bad, but it does look like a default bootstrap theme, which is going to get old pretty quickly if it keeps being as popular as it is.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

nickvergessen wrote:Then it needs some fixing:
  • Layout breaks when the .MODS tab is present
  • The tabbed panels (such as when doing advanced permissions) have not been styled to match
  • Up/Down buttons strangely appear in the wrong place when they are not needed (i.e.: arranging BBcodes, or Forums order pages when there is only one Forum, or one bbcode)
  • The hover highlight effect over links in the sidebar could use some fixing
  • Reset and Submit buttons do not always look the same on some pages as they do on others
  • Fields (text boxes or pull downs) next to GO buttons are not nicely spaced apart like, say the text field+search button
  • MOST OF ALL THIS PATCH WAS MADE ON 3.0.X FILES, AND NEEDS TO BE UPDATED TO A 3.1 ACP
This makeover needs a lot more work before anybody should think about merging.
Last edited by MattF on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has an irascible disposition.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Also install needs to be checked, as we use the same css there

stevenmw

Post by stevenmw »

Frug wrote:
asperous wrote:Edit: At the time of writing you are 4th for phpbb flat design, which shows how much phpbb lacks in taking part of this design trend :)
Applying it to everything because it's a hot trend is a bad idea. Personally I think the admin panel looks pretty good and doesn't need 'flattening'. This proposal doesn't look bad, but it does look like a default bootstrap theme, which is going to get old pretty quickly if it keeps being as popular as it is.
I agree. Sure flat design is a big trend, but that is it. The admin panel looks fine. What needs addressing is updating the code. Flat design is nothing new. It's a design type that has been around for a long time, but now with css3 we can do so much more with code to keep these types of designs from appearing too boring. It is just a trend using a new name to describe the same old thing. Just reinventing the wheel and calling it something else.

renegade8164

Post by renegade8164 »

VSE+ wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:Then it needs some fixing:
  • Layout breaks when the .MODS tab is present
  • The tabbed panels (such as when doing advanced permissions) have not been styled to match
  • Up/Down buttons strangely appear in the wrong place when they are not needed (i.e.: arranging BBcodes, or Forums order pages when there is only one Forum, or one bbcode)
  • The hover highlight effect over links in the sidebar could use some fixing
  • Reset and Submit buttons do not always look the same on some pages as they do on others
  • Fields (text boxes or pull downs) next to GO buttons are not nicely spaced apart like, say the text field+search button
  • MOST OF ALL THIS PATCH WAS MADE ON 3.0.X FILES, AND NEEDS TO BE UPDATED TO A 3.1 ACP
This makeover needs a lot more work before anybody should think about merging.
The whole code base of phpBB 3 back-end and front-end structure and code is very outdated overall so I just wanted the old design out for the moment, not in particular thinking of what code is right or wrong or near 100% perfect.

Like instead of the old annoying Up/Down-buttons for the categories, there should be Drag N Drop (just to example where AJAX IS a good thing and not unnecessary).

btw. Reset-buttons should never be used. It's old HTML4 crap, it's never been a good thing or practice to use it. It's too easy to hit it accidentally, empty all the fields, getting annoyed and just wanna close the window.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

You're forgetting that any mod author will have to implement your new "redesign" in all his/her ACP modules .

The ACP design is simple for a reason, it's not user-facing.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

sajaki wrote:You're forgetting that any mod author will have to implement your new "redesign" in all his/her ACP modules .
If you look at the patch, you would see that only the header and footer are changed so far. SO no need for any MODs to adjust