Multiquote or saved quotes

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ger

Re: Multiquote or saved quotes

Post by Ger »

DavidIQ wrote:None of that is going to work without JavaScript.
Would Javascript still be an issue when 4.0 comes out? I would think not, since even nowadays Javascript is supported on about 95% of the devices. I think that when in the far future when 4.0 sees daylight, every device supports JS. Of course some user might turn JS off, but in the modern world of internet that user might expect things not to work smoothly with JS turned off.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Un1matr1x

Post by Un1matr1x »

And what about visually blind or visually impaired? Shouldn't they be able to use phpBB IV too?

Ppl often just think about voluntary disabled js/css but there are also ppl that cann't take advantage from stuff like this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_rea ... en_readers
This revolution depends on the quality of the software but also on the correct structure of the text: heading, punctuation, presence of alternate attributes for images etc. are crucial for a good vocalization. Also a web site may have a nice look because of the use of appropriate two dimensional positioning with CSS but its standard linearization, for example, by suppressing any CSS and Javascript in the browser, can produce an incoherent succession of texts to be vocalized.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Ger wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:None of that is going to work without JavaScript.
Would Javascript still be an issue when 4.0 comes out? I would think not, since even nowadays Javascript is supported on about 95% of the devices. I think that when in the far future when 4.0 sees daylight, every device supports JS. Of course some user might turn JS off, but in the modern world of internet that user might expect things not to work smoothly with JS turned off.
IMO it really isn't really an issue that this feature requires JS. I was just addressing Shayariel who said this wouldn't need JS, which it does.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Un1matr1x wrote:And what about visually blind or visually impaired? Shouldn't they be able to use phpBB IV too?

Ppl often just think about voluntary disabled js/css but there are also ppl that cann't take advantage from stuff like this ...
The goal should be to present a functional experience to screen readers, not a full-function experience. This is the route being taken by almost all software these days. For your reading pleasure: http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

This was a good starting point but was shelved for (IMO) a really dumb reason: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9457

phpBB would have been two years ahead of WordPress (which today has a very good implementation of the aria attribute) had this been implemented. Now it's two years behind...

As for multi-quote, the topic_review() function in includes/functions_posting.php should provide a clue for adding single page multi-quote capability to viewtopic.php.