Loading font from external website

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DionDesigns

Re: Loading font from external website

Post by DionDesigns »

Arty wrote:How is styling of code tag related to this issue? I agree that it needs to be fixed, but it is not concern in this topic.
Sure it is. It's a much bigger problem than the buttons and should be a higher priority.
Arty wrote:
DionDesigns wrote:Plus, this didn't address my point:
It did. You are incorrectly writing that internal fonts can be used to achieve equal or better results. You've yet to prove that point, while I provided screenshots that your statement is completely false.
How on earth have you proved my statement to be false? People should look at the Open Sans buttons you posted in the tracker, and then look at the Arial buttons you posted here. The deficiencies of Open Sans (poor kerning and excessively wide characters) become obvious. Yes, the buttons appear to be identical across the platforms you chose to test/display, but since the development team has made it VERY clear that platform-consistent fonts are not an issue (if it were, CODE tags and post text would have been fixed years ago), the better-looking font should be used. And that's Arial.

This very much comes across as a straw-man argument to justify something you want for your yourself as opposed to being for the benefit of the end-user.
Pony99CA wrote:Can I put in a vote for MS Comic Sans? :lol:
Just for fun I tested this, and you know...the buttons looked good! Better than Open Sans. :lol:
keith10456 wrote:I disagree with the notion that the icons for the buttons are pointless. They aid the end-user in understanding what the respective button does.
I thought that was the purpose of the button text. ;)

Anyway, I've made my points. Have a nice day, y'all!

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

First: I don't really have a problem with loading the font from OpenFonts, although I don't prefer that method.

I have no access to a mac, but it seems there are several sans-serif fonts common on Mac that are uncommon on other OSes (Helvietica, Geneva (with Cyrillic), Gill Sans), so theoretically the too-bold Arial could be fixed with a CSS rule like:

Code: Select all

font-family: Geneva, "Droid Sans", Arial, sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
I agree that loading fonts from off-server is less than ideal if it can be made better with CSS -- and by the way, the Arial bold proposal is significantly better than the Verdana buttons currently used, even when too-bold.

For anyone curious: how Fx justifies its treatment of bolding
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The differences between Mac and PC must always be taken into account in these situations. With respect to native fonts, the general rule is that if it looks good on a PC, it'll look bad on a Mac, and Vice-Versa.

At least off site fonts like Open Sans or Droid Sans really do look pretty much the same cross platform.
Has an irascible disposition.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

VSE+ wrote:The differences between Mac and PC must always be taken into account in these situations. With respect to native fonts, the general rule is that if it looks good on a PC, it'll look bad on a Mac, and Vice-Versa.

At least off site fonts like Open Sans or Droid Sans really do look pretty much the same cross platform.
exactly and to further compound issues the treatment of spacing on he different platforms for the same font is not the same across the board so it can through off layouts in some extraneous cases
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

janus

Post by janus »

Can somebody explane me why the script is loading in the header before the css and not in the footer?
GTmetrix complains about loading script before css and some boards are now loading the html first and than the css.

janus

Post by janus »

I move the script to the bottom of the <head> section and the board is loading much better now, but still curious for a answer.