Creating a Responsive PHPBB

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Creating a Responsive PHPBB

Post by keith10456 »

Oleg wrote:Because I am trying to ship 3.1, and a redesign is likely to create breakage, lead to half of a style being done one way and half of the style a different way, etc. which is not helping with the goal of shipping.

A barebones theme will not be usable by users anyway therefore if it is unfinished or does not work right 3.1 is not affected.
OK... Thanks for the explanation ;)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Just an update on the progress on this thus far. I had to take a small break to focus on stuff at work. I also wanted to take a step back and re-examine the different elements to ensure I was good to start testing them.

I also made a few organizational decisions
1. Their will be 1,2,3 styles loaded per page depending on the page. As follows global.css, settings.css, page specific.css. Not nessicarily named as such but you get the main idea. The css for the main site and the control panel will be seperate this way I can build it modular and maintain better organization, and reduce the amount of css for the main sections of the site drastically.

2. Each element of the site will be contained in its own file for modularity using includes as needed to allow for inheritance from the core. We can concatenation them before release or choose to include a form of concatenation in the admin panel to refer mini died versions of the css and js files like requires or something along those lines. This also aloes for testing of each element o. It's own to prevent all the render errors that are so common with large scale apps like the current version of phone that ate still using a non-modular approach to css sort of like Facebook before they commissioned "Nicole Sullivan" to redesign the theme objectively in which she found 900 uniquely different hex values for the color blue

I will keep this thread updated as I make progress
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Thank you for the update!