Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
erangamapa

Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

Post by erangamapa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:09 am

Hi All,

I am working on the gsoc proposal for Session Backend Abstraction. I have some questions about scope of this project.

I have identified following areas which comes under session which needs changes for this project.

Session methods in session.php
Methods related to view online users. Most in viewonline.php
Methods related to logged in user in user.php

I need to clarify some things.
Weather this scope is correct and comfortable for the project ?
Weather we should allow administrator to configure memcached servers through ACP ?

Already there is a cache driver implementation in phpBB to configure with phpBB system.
We can use it for this solution.
Are we going to give the administrator a choice to use memecahed or only database for session caching ?

About the proposal.
How can I get a feedback for my proposal form phpBB community ?
Where to publish my proposal ?

Thanks!

Oleg

Re: Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

Post by Oleg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 am

erangamapa wrote: Weather this scope is correct and comfortable for the project ?
Scope should be a higher level description of what you intend to do. The list of files that need to be changed is a consequence of scope, not what the scope is.
Weather we should allow administrator to configure memcached servers through ACP ?
You can generate configuration like sphinx search backend does.

You should prioritize features and have a clear understanding of what features/functionality is a must for the board to work and which features are nice to have and can be dropped if you run out of time.
Already there is a cache driver implementation in phpBB to configure with phpBB system.
We can use it for this solution.
You can certainly reuse existing code. With that, existing cache driver api/usage may present some difficulties.
Are we going to give the administrator a choice to use memecahed or only database for session caching ?
Code can be refactored with a single backend. However, having multiple backends validates architecture and may help with direction - instead of guessing what a good architecture might look like, you simply build an architecture for the use cases you already have.
About the proposal.
How can I get a feedback for my proposal form phpBB community ?
Where to publish my proposal ?

Thanks!
Probably by posting on area51 like you have done.

erangamapa

Re: Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

Post by erangamapa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks Oleg
I added it here viewtopic.php?f=99&t=44181