User Tagging (Facebook style)

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
diego898

User Tagging (Facebook style)

Post by diego898 »

Hello!

I've recently installed the great AOS Tag User BBCode Mod and it has greatly improved the forum experience for my users. Across a large forum and many discussions its a great way to call people's attention to certain posts/topics. Its a very enjoyable experience and I think it would make a great feature, if carefully implemented to handle permissions issues, tagging groups, etc. to core. I can't think of one negative to having this feature on all boards. Granted, all interested boards could simply install the mod, but that argument could be made for a great many features in core. If it was automatically included/tightly integrated new communities with not very experiences moderators can also enjoy it. What do you guys/gals think?

imkingdavid

Re: User Tagging (Facebook style)

Post by imkingdavid »

There is already an RFC for the ability to @mention a user in a post. With the new notifications system, this is now a possibility for eventual inclusion, whether in the core or as an extension. If you would like, you may provide input in that topic.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

diego898

Re: User Tagging (Facebook style)

Post by diego898 »

thank you for pointing that out! I will continue on there