A member's profile url should be the username

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dog Cow

Re: A member's profile url should be the username

Post by Dog Cow »

The solution to this problem is to include the User ID in the URL too and perform the SQL query based on this ID.

Issue a 301 redirect if the username in the URL is wrong or missing.

Frug

Post by Frug »

I do wish phpbb had friendly URLs like this as part of the core. Lot of people finding easily avoidable or imo unimportant arguments against it. Meh.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Frug wrote:I do wish phpbb had friendly URLs like this as part of the core. Lot of people finding easily avoidable or imo unimportant arguments against it. Meh.
Right now the only things keeping it from happening are an issue with path resolution and having to completely rewrite the root-level user-facing files to work in the new controller system. Once those are done, URLs can be made "pretty". However, neither of those is necessarily planned for 3.1.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Frug

Post by Frug »

imkingdavid wrote:
Frug wrote:I do wish phpbb had friendly URLs like this as part of the core. Lot of people finding easily avoidable or imo unimportant arguments against it. Meh.
Right now the only things keeping it from happening are an issue with path resolution and having to completely rewrite the root-level user-facing files to work in the new controller system. Once those are done, URLs can be made "pretty". However, neither of those is necessarily planned for 3.1.
That's cool. I appreciate that you're giving it consideration.

Mainly for the forums themselves, I feel like it would be really nice to have a folder structure in the URLs mimic the forum structure because it would be more usable/easier to share links to forums. Posts I don't care so much about, though the SEO guys sure do.

I've been avoiding throwing one of the usual SEO mods onto my forum in the hopes that an easier/lighter weight solution would eventually arrive. I suppose I'll end up having to do so for 3.1.