Moving posts in one topic

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

Moving posts in one topic

Post by leschek »

On my small forum I sometimes post tutorials and it would be helpful if in phpBB is an option to move the posts within the topic (i guess it means to change the date of a post or make numbering of posts in the topic). Now when user wants to split a tutorial into few parts he has to make an another post in the topic with something like this: "Post reserved for next part of tutorial" etc. (example from phpBB.com) otherwise in the end some comments can get between parts of a tutorial. I think it would be nicer if user can just write another part of tutorial on the end of topic and move it where he wants (if he/she has permissions to do it or if someone approve it).

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Moving posts in one topic

Post by DavidIQ »

I think this would be good for an extension but I'm not sure there is an event in this part of post displaying. The event can then take care of sorting the topic by say an additional column, call it display_order, and then sort by that column. Alternatively the extension could sort by other data elements.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

DavidIQ wrote:I think this would be good for an extension but I'm not sure there is an event in this part of post displaying. The event can then take care of sorting the topic by say an additional column, call it display_order, and then sort by that column. Alternatively the extension could sort by other data elements.
+1

leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for reply. I guess I will ask for MOD when 3.1 will come out.

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

Is there a reason one larger post can't serve the same purpose? What requirement makes it necessary to involve more than one post?
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Of course you can post it into one post, but when the post is longer I think it is more nicer and easier to read when the article is split. It's easier to edit shorter post and better to link from another post into part of the article. When you add new post users know it and go to read it (I guess it could work like that even if post is moved up).

Professional

Post by Professional »

i think also if there will be an option to move some posts from one topic to another , is very nice :)
آگهی استخدام - انجمن تخصصی نسل جدید موبایل ها
My Handwritings: Professional Dreams
Every Thing That U Feel,Is Every Thing That I Feel.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Professional wrote:i think also if there will be an option to move some posts from one topic to another , is very nice :)
Moderators can already move posts to another topic in phpBB 3.0.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

I don't see us implement this. Post sorting is already complicated enough.