new revolution for phpbb4 to be worth it.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Atramez_Zeton

new revolution for phpbb4 to be worth it.

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

Greetings,

I'm 10 years phpbb user since version 2 in 2002 until now 2012 I have installed and modified a lot in phpbb using my own experience and a lots of feedback from my forum users, long story short I want to look for a new phpbb that is not a place where we see features in other spots then add it to one place, what it as to be is an original creation into the world of forums, something is not "similar" to another forums or that you can get in another forums, as a front user I would say phpbb4 has to be less bold user, more social, more interactive, easier to modified spicily with MODs

on the other hand going into more social friendly forums from the current academic one is a require not for me as a user but for it to challenge other builds, as you know social networks as facebook and twitter are invading users all over the planet, I'm not saying phpbb should be like FB or TW but to have a unique social fun and solid experience.

What I have in mind is like this:

1- More into personal belonging like personal posing space not linked with the forums, lets say show your own topics with your own forums that you have posted, its different in presentation from link shown in your own panel.

2- More into social interaction with other users who are posting, some suggests "thank you" system or points system something similar to "like" and "+1", I have seen recently a new forum system not free one who implies a lot of facebook features, i can say its nice but why do i have to use it if I have facebook? what I want to say we need to have something others doesn't have, a reward system not with numbers It can be with colors, shapes,still not sure how to describe it yet,

3- I have seen plans for easier use with AJAX and JQuery, I would like to add that the way forums is presented should be different for example magazine view of the forums with 2 columns next to each other, even user customize how to sorting out the forums of what they prefer with simple drag and drop, more into menus than small links, less reading more small popup visual if you got a message or new reply you have a notification insistently not to wait until page is refreshed which means less page reload and more info in one spot that makes you interactive with the forums as your using a live system, not a system that make you feel that it needs CPR :)

4-MODs which should be like plugins system than MODs, I know plugins can be less secure and less featured still its better than going through 10 MODs then when you want to update you have to edit 20-40 files all over every now and then which makes you lose interest in updating your site (maybe this will be less required if phpbb4 have more features included most used MODs).

5- features that gives admins/moderators less hard work control on the forums from splitting/merging to "mark & hide" a post for preview without deleting it, link 2 forums with each other, prefix subjects for topics and posts, link users inside the forums, live preview of other posts links such as news and so on...etc

the list goes long but I was just thinking of these while I was trying to see how can phpbb more interesting to use.

thank you for hard work

best regards.

EXreaction

Re: new revolution for phpbb4 to be worth it.

Post by EXreaction »

Plugins will be supported in phpBB 3.1.0, which there hopefully will be a preview/alpha release of this year.

Atramez_Zeton

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

plugins will replace mods?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Atramez_Zeton wrote:plugins will replace mods?
Yes.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Atramez_Zeton

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

I would like to know more about ajax replacements if possible what are they used for in the next version?

mykkal

Post by mykkal »

Atramez_Zeton wrote:plugins will replace mods?

This is an awesome improvement.
I love technology to the point my home runs on Windows.
Favorite sites I've built. http://MyModelTalk.com http://Rashaentertainment.com