Get rid of "No unread post"

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
John P

Get rid of "No unread post"

Post by John P »

The tooltip "No unread post" for guest shouldn't be there.
Guests can not have "No unread post"

Jacob

Re: Get rid of "No unread post"

Post by Jacob »

Yes, they can, if you check the option 'Enable topic marking for guests' in the ACP (Load settings).

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Uhhh.... And how does that work? phpbb saves the data from a specified guest ip for a period of time?
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:Uhhh.... And how does that work? phpbb saves the data from a specified guest ip for a period of time?
Cookies
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

John P

Post by John P »

Yeah but if I enter the site first time every topic is telling me there is no unread post

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

callumacrae wrote:
TheKiller wrote:Uhhh.... And how does that work? phpbb saves the data from a specified guest ip for a period of time?
Cookies
Then thats silly considering some can block cookies in their browsers and the option becomes silly and confusing because it wont do whats it meant to do.
Previous user: TheKiller

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

TheKiller wrote:
callumacrae wrote:
Cookies
Then thats silly considering some can block cookies in their browsers and the option becomes silly and confusing because it wont do whats it meant to do.
It's not our fault that the user is blocking cookies.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

If topic marking for guests is off, they will never have any read posts, therefore it's wrong/pointless to tell them that there are unread posts.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Oleg wrote:If topic marking for guests is off, they will never have any read posts, therefore it's wrong/pointless to tell them that there are unread posts.
I agree.

If guest tracking is on and Cookies are off, posts will always appear as unread which sounds like acceptable behaviour to me.

John P

Post by John P »

I delete cookies on regular base and I believe a lot of people do this because of so much cookies, so everytime I delete cookies i didn't read one message the board is telling.
This message is pointless in this way and if a user want to know which message he read or didn't read he should register at the board.
This message is misleadng.