Thanks System

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Thanks System

Post by DavidIQ »

theallzaz wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:What's wrong with it being an extension? I don't see why this being an extension, even in 3.1, would be a big problem for anyone. I also don't see where "other forums" have this as a standard feature. vBulletin seems to have it available as a "hack"...
My question is: what's wrong with it being inside the core? If you, as admin dont want this feature, just switch off in acp.

And I was saying about the forums that i participate. Not just me but I notice that several users who participate in these forums use the thanks system.

What i don't understand is why things like birthday-feature is inside the core, while thanks-features that are widely used (as you said earlier is the third most downloaded plugin), is not.
Because if we include every single feature that is requested then we are just going to have one giant ball of Internet junk. That birthdays are in the core was a mistake and has been said many times that it was a feature that really shouldn't have been included. We can include everything under the sun and add a way to turn it off but it'll just make it that much harder to configure the forum, something we don't want.
theallzaz

Re: Thanks System

Post by theallzaz »

DavidIQ wrote:
theallzaz wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:What's wrong with it being an extension? I don't see why this being an extension, even in 3.1, would be a big problem for anyone. I also don't see where "other forums" have this as a standard feature. vBulletin seems to have it available as a "hack"...
My question is: what's wrong with it being inside the core? If you, as admin dont want this feature, just switch off in acp.

And I was saying about the forums that i participate. Not just me but I notice that several users who participate in these forums use the thanks system.

What i don't understand is why things like birthday-feature is inside the core, while thanks-features that are widely used (as you said earlier is the third most downloaded plugin), is not.
Because if we include every single feature that is requested then we are just going to have one giant ball of Internet junk. That birthdays are in the core was a mistake and has been said many times that it was a feature that really shouldn't have been included. We can include everything under the sun and add a way to turn it off but it'll just make it that much harder to configure the forum, something we don't want.
I understand. I agree that there are many useless requests, and I avoid coming here because of it, but I still think this tool would be interesting to be part of the core

Anyway, hoping to see this in a future version.. thanks