New way of presenting Private Messages

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Epy_de_Maïs

New way of presenting Private Messages

Post by Epy_de_Maïs »

Hi everybody
I'm posting here to suggest a possibly new feature that sounds cool to me, and I hope to others.
I think it would be for 4.x version because developpers are coding many things from scratch with a new framework (yay!) but if you think that could be done in 3.x that would be great !
I use it on a very old and unmantained php forum, and saw it on a recent and non-free one.

I would like to have all PMs showed as topic conversations instead of mailboxes with an often short limit of messages. It would act as totally private topics in a private sub section (or anything else, depending of the way you want to show them)
Each member would have a subsection on bottom or top of the forums, a notification icon for unread messages, and could read and anwser to his messages.

Technically it could be seen as a subsection of the forums with private topics, where only those who are listed in recepients can read and answer. (Multi participants could be done in the same time, because they would all have rights)

The only difficulty is for the delete function, if one member deletes the topic he could be removed from the allowed members, and the topic stays online for the others, even with only one. When the last one deletes it, it would be deleted from database.

It needs also to change the limit of PMs, it couldn't be in number of messages but in number of topics I think (number in option in ACP obviously)

What do you think about this ?

(I already ask for it but it seems to be to difficult to be done in a MOD for Olympus, due to its structure)

Thanks for reading ! I can answer any questions ;)

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: New way of presenting Private Messages

Post by Arty »

I've seen other forum software use that method and I love it. It is very convenient.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Sounds very interesting. I like it as another option for the Forums but not as a replacement for PMs.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

That's sort of like GMail, and it's quite similar to an idea I had quite a while ago. I'm for it, though probably not prior to 4.0.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Epy_de_Maïs

Post by Epy_de_Maïs »

Cool ! :)
I don't think it's like Gmail conversations, they copied the BBS ! ;)

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Are you requesting something like IP.B has now?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

What does IPB have now?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Michaelo

Post by Michaelo »

What ever method is chosen I hope we at least get a search and possibly an auto delete after x days... (0 being don't delete)...
I could live with the present version but it's a headache determining which PM's to delete to make for more....

If I could mark a PM as important and then click a button to delete the rest I would be in heaven ;)
Mods: Forum Icons Enhancement, Kiss Portal Engine
Links:
Kiss Portal Engine (dev site) Stargate Portal (archive site) ...
Styles: Technika

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:What does IPB have now?
This is what IPB does: http://cl.ly/image/083d1D0A3p0S
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This sounds like it's mostly a layout change. We show the message history already so it would be a matter of joining it to the main message. Or am I missing something?