Integrating automatic image resizing

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Martian

Re: Integrating automatic image resizing

Post by Martian »

I don't like the image scroll bars.

I fixed this by simply applying "max-width: 100%" to the images, so large images get scaled by the browser to fit in the post field. A simple and elegant solution.

Mostly the image is still large enough, but if I want to view the full-size I need to right-click the image and choose to view the image.

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

+1 Seems like my favorite solution ;)

Ger

Post by Ger »

Posted that in tracker almost a year ago:
http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3- ... ment-37086
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

I test code in the ticket and is perfect, please add this also on 3.0.12

Code: Select all

img {
       border-width: 0;
       max-width: 100%;
    }

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

ReImage w/highslide in the core would be neat...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

in that case the images not really resized. only smaller displayed. no good solution and a bad fact

Master_Cylinder

boilingstream wrote:in that case the images not really resized. only smaller displayed. no good solution and a bad fact
That is the whole idea, display smaller images and allow users to see the full size by clicking on it. That's very good.
These kids today...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

boilingstream wrote:in that case the images not really resized. only smaller displayed. no good solution and a bad fact
If you mean that we won't take that remote image, store it locally, and show a thumbnail instead then no that will not be happening. The idea of linking to external images is so that there is no storage hit on the server, which is especially important for those on shared hosting.

Master_Cylinder

I thought he wanted to take a large uploaded image and permanently resize it as a smaller image to save space. I don't care for that option either.
These kids today...

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I've actually seen both requests before for ReIMG and both have their issues. The one about storing images on the server I already mentioned plus if the image should be stored locally then it should be up to the user to use the uploads feature, if it's enabled for that forum. The one you've mentioned, resizing on upload, also has it's drawbacks. For starters if we resize the image then what do we resize it to without distorting the image? It might also only be possible with ImageMagick, which might not be available on all servers especially Windows servers. If this is what is being suggested then this would be a separate feature anyways as it would be dealing with the uploads mechanism which is not really what is being discussed here.