Make phpBB faster/liter by replacing dynamic strings with static one

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Shaban Sunal

Re: Make phpBB faster/liter by replacing dynamic strings with static one

Post by Shaban Sunal »

Well, you're right..that would be a big mess..in first place with the upgrading..so if someone wants to try..do it but not on a live forum...i've just "half" changed my mind because now i need to move phpBB in a subdomain lol!! so it took me an half hour to replace every string back to their respective dynamic strings..it's a huge change and i need to be sure it's for something ;) i just saw that the CPU load remained the same..i don't know what to think..will look to see if it's for the string changing or because there was a bottleneck on the server :S i'll keep you updated ASAC! ;)

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

Testing for performance really needs to be done on an isolated system. When I was testing template changes (not what you're suggesting, something else) I had a server set up at my house that I used so that I knew I was the only one putting a load on the box. :) Anything else is probably hit and miss... and more miss than hit.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

igorw

Post by igorw »

I remember discussing this optimization before. It would be quite easy to compile cached templates with the language baked in, one file per language. It's definitely something worth benchmarking, imo.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

igorw wrote:I remember discussing this optimization before. It would be quite easy to compile cached templates with the language baked in, one file per language. It's definitely something worth benchmarking, imo.
IMO it's added disk usage for a potential slight performance increase. I am not aware of any recent complains as to the speed of page loading, so I'm not sure it is really necessary to go through the trouble unless there is a significant increase in performance.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

A few KB, or even MB, what the additional caching may cost, is really not of any significance. Disks are cheap and are only going to get cheaper--and I don't think that anyone has any issues with disk space limitations besides those who allow many GB worth of uploads.

I would be quite interested to hear if there are measurable performance increases by more thorough caching, although I wouldn't expect much.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Hmm, include compiled language entries in cache seems interesting...

Really, disk space is much cheaper than CPU upgrade, so..maybe we should think little bit about it.