Design The Index So It's Easier To Post/Reply To Topics

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: Design The Index So It's Easier To Post/Reply To Topics

Post by keith10456 »

OK... Point taken ;) I just don't want this topic to be interpreted as, "We need to be more like FB, etc".

To answer your question, no I don't have a mock-up. And to be honest, I'm not even sure what it would look like. Probably not too different than what we already have. I'm simply trying to point out that the way people are using the web is changing I believe phpBB needs to adapt... Not change, just adjust :idea:

Most of today's Internet users (in terms of using the web) are either spoiled or don't have the know-how. They're used to the web and information coming to them. Unlike "yesterday" when people went out and sought information (the web).

And again, we must take into account they way that many people are and will be using the web. It's going to be on a phone, a tablet or a median device (ie iPod), their TV, etc. People will still use the web on a desktop (in the office, for major applications, etc) but the change is and will be drastic.

I believe the current layout/design of the forum index can be adjusted a bit to help accommodate these changes (and previously discussed).

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

keith10456 wrote:I believe the current layout/design of the forum index can be adjusted a bit to help accommodate these changes (and previously discussed).
If you can suggest how that would be accomplished it would help. Right now what I am getting from this topic is you're suggesting a change but don't know what the change looks like, so you seem to be saying, "It's broken and needs fixing, but I can't tell you how to fix it, or even any specifics about how it's broken." Makes it hard to discuss. ;)
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

drathbun wrote:
keith10456 wrote:I believe the current layout/design of the forum index can be adjusted a bit to help accommodate these changes (and previously discussed).
If you can suggest how that would be accomplished it would help. Right now what I am getting from this topic is you're suggesting a change but don't know what the change looks like, so you seem to be saying, "It's broken and needs fixing, but I can't tell you how to fix it, or even any specifics about how it's broken." Makes it hard to discuss. ;)
I must admit, you're partly right.

I think I went on enough about what I believe the problem is. Unfortunately however I don't claim to have the solution. I'll mull it over and see if I can come-up with something.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

I have tried to implement easier posting of 'New topics', I'm no coder or anything (Just basic html/css skills) but I am using a basic method which you can have a look at if you like?

I'm sure more experienced coders could come up with better idea's, maybe without javascript for example? Or now I'm thinking more about it, why not a simple text link next to each category header on the index > [Post new topic] ?

User:removed
Pass:removed
http://www.corradog60.com

Once logged in and returned to the index page, click the red button up top "Post new topic"
Last edited by Volksdevil on Fri May 23, 2014 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I think an optional (via ACP) sidebar could make it easier to find and reply to new posts. Something similar to this.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

For reference, this topic is pretty much what Keith suggested in the My rant as to whether forums are dead.... topic on phpBB.com. I think most of my answers there are still applicable, but you can read the full discussion there.

However, I think Keith has misjudged the most common use cases for how people get to a board. IMHO, people get to a board in two basic ways -- they use a search engine to find information or they hear about the board from somebody who gives them a link.

In the former case, they're most likely taken to a topic in the board that's discussing what they searched for; they don't go to the Board Index at all. Only in the latter case (which I think is a lot less common than the former) would they likely get a link to the Board Index.

I also think that most people who go to the Board Index are return users, regular visitors to the board who use the View your posts or View new posts links. How many regular users here actually browse into a forum (much less multiple forums), then look at the topics there?

However, let's assume that some users do get to the Board index and want to post a question. Should we encourage random posting there? I don't think so. New users should be encouraged to either browse the forums or use the Search facility to find an existing topic that matches what they want to talk about.

In addition, if they don't browse into a forum or a topic, and just post from the Index, they won't see the Forum Rules. That's another reason not to encourage that behavior.

Now to address Keith's specific suggestion....
keith10456 wrote:I think an optional (via ACP) sidebar could make it easier to find and reply to new posts. Something similar to this.
While I think that's a reasonable idea, it's not to make it easier to post. You'll notice that there doesn't seem to be a way to comment on the posts from that page; you still have to go into the topic (and ideally read it) first.

I think that sidebar is a good idea to give people who do visit the Board Index a flavor of what's happening on the board. That's all. (And, depending on the posts there, it could well be a misleading flavor. Imagine if an Off-Topic forum got very busy and a user saw nothing about the board's main subject in that sidebar. That might actually discourage them.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

You're right when you say many visitors to Forums find it via search engines and/or links. And for that set of visitors we're OK. But that doesn't mean we can't improve things for our returning Forum visitors/members.

And I agree with you when you wrote this:
Pony99CA wrote:I also think that most people who go to the Board Index are return users, regular visitors to the board who use the View your posts or View new posts links.
That's why in the first post of this topic I wrote this:
keith10456 wrote:Likewise for the "View Your Posts" link/button. This option (or set of options) needs to be more prevalent.

And in reference to this:
Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:I think an optional (via ACP) sidebar could make it easier to find and reply to new posts. Something similar to this.
While I think that's a reasonable idea, it's not to make it easier to post. You'll notice that there doesn't seem to be a way to comment on the posts from that page; you still have to go into the topic (and ideally read it) first.

I think that sidebar is a good idea to give people who do visit the Board Index a flavor of what's happening on the board. That's all. (And, depending on the posts there, it could well be a misleading flavor. Imagine if an Off-Topic forum got very busy and a user saw nothing about the board's main subject in that sidebar. That might actually discourage them.)
That's why I said " something similar to this"... Because it could be made better. I posted that image because it gave some visual to the point I was trying to make.

You see Steve, you agree with me more than you think on this issue :idea: :D

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I agree that improvements can be made -- making it "easier to post" is not one of them. :D Making phpBB easier to navigate or more informative is another issue.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

stevenmw

Post by stevenmw »

keith10456 wrote:
drathbun wrote:I can't see any logical way to reply to something you're not looking at. The index does not show me content, so there's nothing to comment on.
Thank you! That's my point! You just hit the nail on the head!!! Now do you see what I'm saying?

drathbun wrote:Even if someone has previously read a topic, I don't think I want them replying to it on the main page without going back to see if there is anything new.

Now there are exceptions; the phpBB Help board did away with the index altogether, and replaced it with a list of topics. At least there I have some inkling of what the content is. If each topic were to display a brief excerpt of the post, or perhaps a paragraph or two... but now you've recreated WordPress. :)
I think you think I'm saying do away with the current layout design. I'm not. However, maybe it can be adjusted/changed to make it easier find posts, and to post a new topic.
I'm sorry, but I do not agree. This would do away with a major part of organization. Which is the backbone of any forum. I feel if you do away with the list of forums and categories and replace them with a list of topics you lose control, and organization. This is something I can never see happening.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

stevenmw wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
drathbun wrote:I can't see any logical way to reply to something you're not looking at. The index does not show me content, so there's nothing to comment on.
Thank you! That's my point! You just hit the nail on the head!!! Now do you see what I'm saying?

drathbun wrote:Even if someone has previously read a topic, I don't think I want them replying to it on the main page without going back to see if there is anything new.

Now there are exceptions; the phpBB Help board did away with the index altogether, and replaced it with a list of topics. At least there I have some inkling of what the content is. If each topic were to display a brief excerpt of the post, or perhaps a paragraph or two... but now you've recreated WordPress. :)
I think you think I'm saying do away with the current layout design. I'm not. However, maybe it can be adjusted/changed to make it easier find posts, and to post a new topic.
I'm sorry, but I do not agree. This would do away with a major part of organization. Which is the backbone of any forum. I feel if you do away with the list of forums and categories and replace them with a list of topics you lose control, and organization. This is something I can never see happening.
Not sure if you read through the topic before you made your post but nobody said do away with forums and categories and replace them with a list of topics. I suggest you read through the topic ;)