HTML Template in Emails.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: HTML Template in Emails.

Post by DavidIQ »

Another reason to send phpBB emails at least in HTML format: Windows RT/8's stock e-mail app does not interpret link text in email as an actual hyperlink when it is a plain-text e-mail.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Per-user option - +1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

There should be a board-wide option to choose plain text, HTML or both.

If both was chosen, users would be able to select plain text or HTML, but let's not overburden the user with choosing E-mail templates and such.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Having e-mail templates chosen by the user would also be a huge burden to the forum itself. Instead of reusing the most parts of the e-mail templates between users, there would be a need to load multiple templates.
Anyhow, if we allow just the changing of the CSS, we might get acceptable results. CSS behaves just like a pluggable system :). Ultimatly, if needed, we can have the CSS in the board server and let the client' e-mail client download parse and execute CSS.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Per-user option - +1
+1

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Pony99CA wrote:There should be a board-wide option to choose plain text, HTML or both.

If both was chosen, users would be able to select plain text or HTML, but let's not overburden the user with choosing E-mail templates and such.

Steve
Why would an admin want to specify only allowing plain text or only allowing html?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Why have it as an option at all for either users or administrators?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^
One may not like receiving e-mails in HTML and vice-versa.
For the one in the ACP... I don't really know the real use-case. It does reduce server load to use the same (text/plain or text/html) board-wide...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

You can send an email and include both HTML and plain text in a single message. The email client will use whichever one it wants.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

EXreaction wrote:You can send an email and include both HTML and plain text in a single message. The email client will use whichever one it wants.
Exactly. I'd rather control it through my email client than through some setting on the board.