Database Optimize & Repair Tools from ACP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 am

Hi
whats is your idea about:

OPTIMIZE will defragment your database and can offer improved database performance.
REPAIR should only be used if you believe your database has crashed or corrupt tables.
CHECK will report on the status of tables.

i found this mod about this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/d ... pair_tool/

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Re: Database Optimize & Repair Tools from ACP

Post by Noxwizard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:07 am

This has been brought up before: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=41787

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 am

This isn't really phpBB's job, surely?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Well - it was something we considered a long (long long - I feel old) time ago. I don't know what happened to it because I recall us being in favour. The issue may have been cross-server support.

drathbun

Post by drathbun » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 am

You would have to create a different section for each potential database supported by phpBB. And what about databases that don't offer such tools?

To be honest, I am not in favor of this. In my opinion, database administration should never be done using tools that are embedded within an application because they might be out of date or just flat out wrong. Who would you trust to write DBA utilities? phpBB, or MySQL? Nothing against the developers here, it's just not expected to be their area of expertise.

I don't even use the backup and restore options in the admin panel. ;)
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Maybe we can get something like this included when we switch to a properly-designed DBAL library such as Doctrine. I would certainly not make this a priority.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, may be good as an extension, or part of STK, but really not in the core.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Senky wrote:Well, may be good as an extension, or part of STK, but really not in the core.
+1

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:34 am

Senky wrote:Well, may be good as an extension, or part of STK, but really not in the core.
It is/will be an extension... That is my MOD pictured above. And when 3.1 arrives, I hope to make the 3.1 version of it.
drathbun wrote:To be honest, I am not in favor of this. In my opinion, database administration should never be done using tools that are embedded within an application because they might be out of date or just flat out wrong. Who would you trust to write DBA utilities? phpBB, or MySQL? Nothing against the developers here, it's just not expected to be their area of expertise.
FWIW, the commands used to Optimize, Check and Repair are SQL commands. In other words, those tasks are performed by native MySQL functions and not by PHP. So there is no reason to not trust what it is doing.

IMO, this should not be part of the core either. As mentioned, this only applies to MySQL databases, and on top of that their are additional quirks such as InnoDB not supporting some of these functions. That's why this is best as a MOD/extension where users who know they might benefit from such a tool could choose to install it.

The whole point of this MOD is simply to eliminate the task of going to phpMyAdmin to perform occasional DB optimization tasks, and give users the option to do so from within phpBB's ACP where they may feel more at home.
Has an irascible disposition.

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 am

I believe this functionality does not need to be in phpbb core (per the ticket).