automod should probably be shipped with phpbb by default. ..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Rallix

automod should probably be shipped with phpbb by default. ..

Post by Rallix »

almost everyone installs it anyway, and MODs are VERY important to phpBB (in my personal opinion, they're what distinguishes us from the clones), as they extend functionality greatly. So why not just make it a part of the standard package and move along?
working on a phpBB wiki mod and looking for a partner, PM me if interested
(I'm looking for someone with lots of experience involving BBcode, MODX, and permissions construction)

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: automod should probably be shipped with phpbb by default

Post by Arty »

Automod is obsolete in 3.1 because of plugin system.

Rallix

Post by Rallix »

yet all the same, alot of people haven't access to FTP, even if automod's purpose would be less extensive, I still feel it necessary.
or a "Mods Management Panel" that let's you install and uninstall without FTP.
remember that not all installations are born equal, split hosting often hasn't an allowance for FTP.
Also, many people don't feel confident enough to even try.
I've seen it before, in fact, the Wordpress community contains these individuals in great numbers, for instance.
(I'm looking for someone with lots of experience involving BBcode, MODX, and permissions construction)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MODs are being phased out in favor of Extensions, so including AutoMOD would make no sense. There is an ACP Extensions Manager in the works by Unknown Bliss which, as far as I know, will have the ability to upload directly through its interface.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Rallix

Post by Rallix »

ah, didn't know that last bit, thanks.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

Rallix wrote:yet all the same, alot of people haven't access to FTP, even if automod's purpose would be less extensive, I still feel it necessary.
or a "Mods Management Panel" that let's you install and uninstall without FTP.
remember that not all installations are born equal, split hosting often hasn't an allowance for FTP.
Also, many people don't feel confident enough to even try.
I've seen it before, in fact, the Wordpress community contains these individuals in great numbers, for instance.
Even with automod you will still need ftp to upload your mod to /store/mods.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
I'm quite sure the extensions system only will be successfully if all missing core features have been added to the core.
I don't believe that this will happen. So AutoMOD still will be needed.
But maybe I'm wrong? We will see!
Or is Extensions Manager just a better alternative to AutoMOD?

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
I'm quite sure the extensions system only will be successfully if all missing core features have been added to the core.
I do not understand what you mean by "missing core features".
MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:I don't believe that this will happen. So AutoMOD still will be needed.
As far as I know AutoMOD should continue to work for installing MODs on 3.1. I have not tested it, but I do not see why it wouldn't. But because we are trying to phase out MODs, it would be counter-productive to include it. It will continue to be available for download, as far as I know, when phpBB 3.1 is released.
MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Or is Extensions Manager just a better alternative to AutoMOD?
Extension Manager installs Extensions, not MODs. They are completely different.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello imkingdavid,
will it be possible to program a Extensions Manager compatible version for phpBB 3.1. of Advanced Double Activation Pack for phpBB 3.0?

Core main features (front-end systems - not a complete list):
  • user management
  • permission system
  • module system
  • posting
  • PM
Here still a lot of sub features are missing. Some rare things need to be re-programmed. I know that some things have been done for phpBB 3.1. But I can't see that dev team wants to complete it to get a complete core package.

IMO there should be list of missing features published by the dev team which they would like to have included into Ascraeus or at least Arsia.
This list could motivate people (e.g. MOD authors like mine) to program this fetaures for Ascraeus to support the dev team and to speed up Ascraeus or Arsia development.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Automod is highly unlikely to ship with 3.1 for several reasons:

1. It is maintained by the mod team which is not up to speed on 3.1 development.
2. The dev team does not consider automod a requirement for shipping 3.1.
3. The dev team wants to move away from changing core code (via automod or otherwise) entirely.

Therefore, going forward, the dev team wants to not have automod at all.

If anyone wants to see automod shipped by default in phpbb 3.1, it is on them to 1) build a compelling case why there is code that absolutely positively cannot be written via extensions, and 2) perform the porting work necessary.

For phpbb 3.0, automod has a number of outstanding bugs. I don't think we want to include it as currently is, and this is before considering the fact that 3.0 is a stable release.