rtl base communities BBCode

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
ali@php

rtl base communities BBCode

Post by ali@php »

In rtl based communities the direction of forms are right to left, This direction change causes lot of BBCode related problems to our users, For example this BBCode phrase contains persian alphabet as you see persian words between tags change standard phrase of BBCodes therefore users find BBCode so difficult and hard to read, link to texts, etc :

only solution for us is to use visual editors or automatic BBCode generators but as I know these feature wont be included in phpBB 3.1 or even 3.2
I really want phpBB developers to find a solution for this (maybe in future major releases)

thanaks
Last edited by ali@php on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: rtl base communities BBCode

Post by DavidIQ »

The only solution here would be to have rtl BBCode functions I think. I'm all for it.
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

DavidIQ wrote:The only solution here would be to have rtl BBCode functions I think. I'm all for it.
you mean change form directions between rtl and ltr ?
phpBB persian international support : http://www.phpbbpersian.com
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:The only solution here would be to have rtl BBCode functions I think. I'm all for it.
+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Thank U ali. it is a good and important point. our persian and arabic users have this problem.
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

Meis2M wrote:Thank U ali. it is a good and important point. our persian and arabic users have this problem.
Yes this is main problem of all rtl languages, many webmasters in our language choose other softwares because of this.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

What would be the correct text of the post above?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM
ali@php

Post by ali@php »

nickvergessen wrote:What would be the correct text of the post above?
You mean screenshot ? Thats correct
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Also, perhaps turn this into a revamp of bbcodes for multi-language support and also translate things like colour/quote (actually I've just realised typing this. It should say colour as phpBB is English(GB) by default.)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Also, perhaps turn this into a revamp of bbcodes for multi-language support and also translate things like colour/quote (actually I've just realised typing this. It should say colour as phpBB is English(GB) by default.)
No. That would break all existing uses of "color", nless we keep the current "color" name and simply add the ability to also use "colour", but in that case it wouldn't make sense to add the new one, since people (namely me, who types the bbcode instead of clicking it) would continue to use "color".

EDIT: I don't see how the screenshot could be the correct usage of bbcode. I understand the in rtl the tags have to go backwards, but you have random /'s in some places and you're missing /'s in other places. For instance, the URL bbcode has two opening tags but no closing tag.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.