General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
brunoais

Re: Avatar serverside resize

Post by brunoais »

I agree with Pony99CA. Care should be taken in the upsizing the image.
On the rest I agree. This would save a lot of work out of the users that would need to care about properly resizing the images if they are too big. Ofc, I'm not talking about uploading a insanely huge image 5000+x5000+ image. That is crazy form the user side. Anyway, there are crazy users for every taste.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Here's what you need: http://forum.dion-designs.com/viewtopic ... 4&sp=13122

The procedure modifies the phpBB function that creates thumbnails to also resize uploaded avatars. You're more than welcome to use it.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Why TF I need to turn on js in that website to see anything?!?!
Can't you do it with just HTML+CSS?
Show the thing in a place where I can see without js, please.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:Why TF I need to turn on js in that website to see anything?!?!
Can't you do it with just HTML+CSS?
Show the thing in a place where I can see without js, please.
Oh no, a modern technology which I don't understand!
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

brunoais wrote:Why TF I need to turn on js in that website to see anything?!?!
Browsing like it's 1995 is your prerogative...just like requiring people to not disable a basic browser function is my prerogative. Sorry, but if you want to view "that website", you'll need to enable javascript.

I recently encountered a minor BBcode bug which I will use in my reply to the following:
brunoais wrote:Show the thing in a place where I can see without js, please.
Nope

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Oh well... Seems like you want to fight against w3c with all your strength, huh?
OK... so be it.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

@DionDesigns: If you want to productively contribute to phpBB development, please reconsider your attitude. Some people disable JavaScript for security reasons and basic features of phpBB are supposed to work without JavaScript. It shouldn't be too hard to post the acutal information on area51.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

brunoais wrote:I'm not talking about uploading a insanely huge image 5000+x5000+ image. That is crazy form the user side. Anyway, there are crazy users for every taste.
That's a good point. If resizing an image takes a lot of CPU time/memory, somebody could try uploading a huge image as an "avatar" to try to execute a DOS attack on your board. Maybe there should be a maximum size at which resizing won't be allowed (say 320x320?) and you'll just get the "your image is too large" message.

On the other hand, as they have to have registered to upload an avatar, they might be able to try the same DOS by attaching an inline image to a post (but there are controls to help prevent that, I believe).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

mykkal

Post by mykkal »

you guys are so technical that is obvious nobody here is an expert.

lol... ever heard of php_max_upload?

It is an absolute travesty that phpbb doesn't resize images. The excuses given for not doing what every other bulletin board software & CMS software already does do not remotely make sense.

SMH

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

mykkal wrote:you guys are so technical that is obvious nobody here is an expert.
Um, it's a board regarding phpBB development - what did you expect? :roll:
mykkal wrote:It is an absolute travesty that phpbb doesn't resize images. The excuses given for not doing what every other bulletin board software & CMS software already does do not remotely make sense.
If you want a kitchen sink, I hear vB and IPB include them. Just because we don't do what every other software does does not mean we are falling behind or don't care about our users. By the way, I would suggest you look up the word travesty - you are so far off base.