cron jobs

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Rallix

cron jobs

Post by Rallix »

Just out of curiosity, why do we have our current system as opposed to the more simple use of actual crime jobs?

I fitted my board with crime jobs after a while of messing with our alternative, and it's much easier.
I'm aware of the break in API and of server compatibility, but it seems still like such a good option even with said errors.
working on a phpBB wiki mod and looking for a partner, PM me if interested
(I'm looking for someone with lots of experience involving BBcode, MODX, and permissions construction)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: cron jobs

Post by DavidIQ »

Title says cron jobs...actual post says crime jobs... :lol:

I thought about it as well when I first started working on 3.0 then as I worked with more and more client forums I realized that not everyone has access to cron jobs especially those on shared hosting. I assume that the cron job can be set up to point at the cron.php file but not sure how that would work without the various parameters it takes.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Oleg wrote some code to allow phpBB cron to be, well, cron, rather than virtualized cron. I think it has been merged for Ascraeus, but I didn't check just this moment.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Oleg wrote some code to allow phpBB cron to be, well, cron, rather than virtualized cron. I think it has been merged for Ascraeus, but I didn't check just this moment.
It is.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Rallix wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do we have our current system as opposed to the more simple use of actual crime jobs?
Shared hosting, where you don't have actual "crime" jobs.

In 3.1 you can run cron.php via cron and it will work correctly.

In 3.0 most things will work correctly but there is one action I believe that requires a list of forums to be passed in which won't work without manual modifications.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

what is cron?
In 3.1 you can run cron.php via...

what means that

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

cron.php is the file that deals with all cron tasks in phpBB.

Rallix

Post by Rallix »

Meis2M wrote:what is cron?
In 3.1 you can run cron.php via...

what means that
cron (sorry about the typos, I was typing that on a phone with autocorrect :lol: ) jobs are routine server processes that runs every interval, defined in a thing called a crontab, which can be edited to send you emails. editing the crontab with the cron job is a terrible idea, btw
cron.php is a psuedo-cron job file, in the main folder of the phpbb installation.

I see about the hosting problem, and I suppose the virtualization works well then, my bad
and centralizing it on another server is an awful idea, let's not even go there, we're adding new dependencies in 3.1 anyway
working on a phpBB wiki mod and looking for a partner, PM me if interested
(I'm looking for someone with lots of experience involving BBcode, MODX, and permissions construction)