Need thoughts on "Users send e-mail via board" option

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Need thoughts on "Users send e-mail via board" option

Post by callumacrae »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:IMO the "Allow Administrators to send me emails" setting should be removed completely. I think it's nonsense. At least it should been separated from founders.
Wait, what? How is it nonsense? I might not want to receive newsletters?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Callum,
but you are using the board (for free)! ;)

It seems that we have different views for this point.
I don't feel annoyed by newsletter e-mails (or mass-emails) which I get from websites there I have registered a free account for me to use the plattform, services and information there.
But I feel annoyed by websites with tons of ads added as sidebars, popups or flash things which I'm visiting as a guest.

IMO a good and intelligent webmaster is not interested in sending tons of newsletter e-mails daily. Also it's possible to send newsletter emails to people whom have subscribed this newsletter themself insteat of sending a mass-email to all members of a user group or to all registered users. Okay, a MOD is required for these features. ;)

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

Derky
Development Team
Development Team

Post by Derky »

It's really tempting to reply on this, but this topic is about showing plaintext e-mails. :P
So if you would really like to see that option changed, I suggest you open a new topic for that suggestion. (Or ask for a topic split)

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Derky,
:oops: Sorry, but I think the topic gets off-topic first some posts above. Okay, I will come back now.

Plain text email addresses displayed? No, absolutely no! (User) Administrators can see it. That's enough!

Email addresses are the only one true personal information. So the board founder have to take care for them. In the other way they are the only one identifier for the real person (If you have enabled at least User Activation).

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs