[Suggestion] Ban Length Adjustment Feature

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Knight Rider Info
I've been banned

[Suggestion] Ban Length Adjustment Feature

Post by Knight Rider Info »

Hi guys,

My suggestion is, to implement a feature in phpBB3 that lets an Admin or Moderator change the length of a ban without unbanning the user and banning them again.
Along with that feature, if the ban length is changed an email should automatically be sent, to the user, stating that there ban length was changed to [Whatever the new length is]

Jessica.

Re: [Suggestion] Ban Length Adjustment Feature

Post by Jessica. »

I support

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Would the adjustment add onto the current ban or would it simply be changing the end date? EDIT: to clarify, would it add the full adjusted length to the end of the current ban length, or would it simply change the end date to the new length?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Either way as long as the choice is explained in the UI.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm ok with that.

1982 Charger
I've been banned

Post by 1982 Charger »

imkingdavid wrote:Would the adjustment add onto the current ban or would it simply be changing the end date? EDIT: to clarify, would it add the full adjusted length to the end of the current ban length, or would it simply change the end date to the new length?
I believe the idea of this suggestion was, for example let's say a user is banned for 7 days.
This change would allow a Moderator to change the length, to 1 month, and it would be like banning the user all over again.
It would change the expiry date, but it would not add to the current ban length.
So the old ban was 7 days, and after changing the ban length, it would be one month.

And an automated email would be dispatched to the user, stating their ban length has been changed.

Example:

You are receiving this email because an Administrator or Moderator has changed your ban length from {OLD_EXPIRY_DATE} to {NEW_EXPIRY_DATE}

Thanks,

The Management

The {OLD_EXPIRY_DATE} and {NEW_EXPIRY_DATE} are just examples and would be replaced with the correct item.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Does phpBB currently send E-mail to a user when he is banned informing him of the ban length? If not, there's no reason to send an E-mail when the ban length is changed.

Does phpBB currently show a banned user the length of the ban if they try to log in? If so, maybe we change the message to indicate that the length of the ban was increased or decreased; otherwise there's no need to notify him at all (other than maybe changing the ban reason to indicate that).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

1982 Charger
I've been banned

Post by 1982 Charger »

phpBB does not currently send a user any emails at all, when a user has been banned, I believe.
When trying to log into, a banned account, it gives them an information page, saying how long they're banned for, to contact the board admin for more info, the ban reason, and on the bottom it italics how the ban was issued: Username, IP Address, or Email

I believe.
I'm not familiar with phpBB, but I got this info from a friend who has a phpBB Board, and is registered, on a phpBB Board, and has seen the banned screen at least once