Ignore posts of all users on foe list

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
RMcGirr83

Re: Ignore posts of all users on foe list

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Many moderators don't bother putting in anything for the edited post reason when editing a post. I doubt they will remember to check the box.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

As a minor clarification, I'm not talking about editing a post from someone else, but a post entered by the moderator. A moderator posting as a user of the board would leave the box unchecked. A moderator posting something in his or her role as a moderator would mark the post so that it will not be ignored by a foe listing. The moderator post could / should be styled differently as well, which would be a visual clue to the moderator that they missed something.

It's not foolproof. But it's something that is technically feasible.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

drathbun wrote:As a minor clarification, I'm not talking about editing a post from someone else, but a post entered by the moderator.
Understood before
It's not foolproof. But it's something that is technically feasible.
My point is, I believe it much ado about nothing. Just don't allow the foe'ing, as is currently the case, and leave the exercise as an "extension" if the admin wanted that ability for the forum. I'm sure DavidIQ could whip something up. ;)
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
drathbun wrote:As a minor clarification, I'm not talking about editing a post from someone else, but a post entered by the moderator.
Understood before
Ah, ok. My confusion is that there wouldn't be a checkbox to check on a post a moderator is editing, only on a new post, which would not have the edit reason that you were talking about... so I thought I needed to clarify.
RMcGirr83 wrote:My point is, I believe it much ado about nothing. Just don't allow the foe'ing, as is currently the case
I can definitely see the case for the original request though. Moderators are board members too. I don't think it would be a completely worthless feature.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

RMcGirr83 wrote:My point is, I believe it much ado about nothing. Just don't allow the foe'ing, as is currently the case
^ that

As far as I can see a use case for such a feature it has a very small target area and therefore would fit far better as an extension rather then a core feature.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

I would submit that it's the way the feature should work. :) If I were designing it, that's how I would try to implement the feature.

As I said earlier, there is a difference between a moderator acting as a moderator, which should never be hidden or ignored, and a moderator posting as himself or herself. It is entirely possible for moderators to have extreme opinions, and extreme opinions can be a reason why someone would want to ignore their posts.

But that, of course, is just my opinion. Clearly not the majority here, and that's okay. 8-)