Social networks integration

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
riadh

Social networks integration

Post by riadh »

Hello!
I think that many of you have heard that phpBB will participate in GSoc (Google Summer of Code).
And It will be honor for me to apply and be mentored by phpbb.
I have read the list of ideas available here http://wiki.phpbb.com/GSoC/2012/Ideas.I added also another idea.And I want to discuss them with you and know which one of these would be the most important for you.
I really appretiate these ideas.
I came up also with mine which is Social networks(Facebook as beginning, or if many appretiate it we could add google+ ) integration:
It’s not a secret that social media is more and more important, and I useful to use the power of social Medias to stay connected with users and get more traffic.
Dynamically synchronize the forum and a Facebook page.
If the forum admin activates this function, he configures the Facebook page (already made) .All the content of the forum is sent to Facebook. Then when a change is made in the forum, the something occurs in the Facebook page (post<=>comment, topic <=> statue) .We could get the number of likes for example…
I make a poll here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=42717&view=viewpollto see which do you like the most,(please go there and vote for your favourite)
And please tell me here what you think about Social networks integration.

brunoais

Re: Social networks integration

Post by brunoais »

My thinking...
No.
Simply because the main package should not be made to communicate with the outside world to trade inside information. For that we may use MODs/extensions.
What would be great, would be to have phpbb open for login/register (and login/register only) integration with any system that can exist in the market.
I think it's useful to have login with google, facebook and OpenID for the core and to have a subsystem that allows the creation of extensions to easily use other APIs to login. According to my research, the current system is too messed up to allow MOD/extension makers to make MODs or extensions to allow logging in with other systems that is not the current internal system. If you could change that and introduce a login using google, facebook and OpenID it would be a great help for this forum.

Meow

Post by Meow »

That is really a necessary function that can help a forum live longer. By the integration, people will not need to type in their username and password so many times, so they would like to stay.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Meow wrote:That is really a necessary function that can help a forum live longer. By the integration, people will not need to type in their username and password so many times, so they would like to stay.
Read my post. If you read it, you'll notice that your answer makes no sense.

Meow

Post by Meow »

brunoais wrote:Read my post. If you read it, you'll notice that your answer makes no sense.
I did not quote and reply on your post.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

My main "fear" with social network integration would be that many boards would enable this, and social networking sites like Facebook would have more power to track users and what websites they visit. That's my main issue with OpenID etc. as well.

By the way, most users are not aware of this, so "opting out" isn't really good enough IMO.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

/a3 wrote:My main "fear" with social network integration would be that many boards would enable this, and social networking sites like Facebook would have more power to track users and what websites they visit. That's my main issue with OpenID etc. as well.

By the way, most users are not aware of this, so "opting out" isn't really good enough IMO.
Well said.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I'm not big on the idea of trading and posting info on a FB Page when activity on a board is made, however, I would LOVE to see in phpBB a way for authentication with Facebook and OpenID (If I recall correctly OpenID includes Google). I know personally I hate reentering all my info in other sites like Name, Email, etc, to allow quick authentication with Facebook, and then being able to login the forums with Facebook or OpenID would be awesome on a board. Usually if there are sites that take comments (such as a forum) and it requires me to register and the whole 9 yards I simply don't, much hassle. However, if they accept Facebook I usually always comment on a topic on sites that allow this. A lot of other people are the same way, so to have this type of integration would really be awesome.
-Jonah

/a3

Post by /a3 »

Here's my proposal: phpBB include a plugin system for logging in from other websites. That way it is easy for people to add plugins for Facebook etc.

I still stand by my original position above, however I realise there would be other good uses for a plugin system related to external logins, eg. integration with another part of the website like a Drupal integration. I don't think a Facebook login should be added by default though.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

/a3 wrote:Here's my proposal: phpBB include a plugin system for logging in from other websites. That way it is easy for people to add plugins for Facebook etc.
Already underway. The RFC sounds quite done (check the login system refactoring (or something like that)).