Default Style

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
wGEric

Re: Default Style

Post by wGEric »

brunoais wrote:Don't like specific kind of ads and to prevent abuse of javascript exploits. Some websites may try to abuse the security limits and try to find bugs that allows them to do something that can cause install of malware (as an example). If you don't understand the reason you are open not to use it but I hope you respect who uses it.
How often do you come across a site that installs malware? I've never understood why people limit their experiences because something could happen and that could is rare. I'm not going to drive because I could get in a car crash and die. I'm not going to eat certain foods because I could get sick and die. Now if the chance is 9 out of 10 times then that is a different story. But if it is 1 out of 100,000 I'm not going to worry about it.

Being realistic, phpBB4 won't be released for many years. We don't know what the browser technology will be and what people will expect from web sites. No one can properly discuss what the user experience will be at that time. It is like betting on who is going to win the world cup 5 years from now. No one knows.
Eric

/a3

Post by /a3 »

wGEric wrote:
brunoais wrote:Don't like specific kind of ads
How often do you come across a site that installs malware? I've never understood why people limit their experiences because something could happen and that could is rare.
Advertising is far from rare. I got sick of websites with those annoying JS-popups that require you to press the X button, and websites that use it unnecessarily. Why don't we enable scripts by default in Microsoft Word? After all, most of what I do on the web is reading documents. Using NoScript I can enable JavaScript for a few select websites that require it. I probably only have issues around once per week or less, which are normally fixed by either temporarily or permanently allowing a website.

Some people like a web for web applications; fair enough. But some people don't.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

/a3 wrote:
wGEric wrote:
How often do you come across a site that installs malware? I've never understood why people limit their experiences because something could happen and that could is rare.
Advertising is far from rare. I got sick of websites with those annoying JS-popups that require you to press the X button, and websites that use it unnecessarily. Why don't we enable scripts by default in Microsoft Word? After all, most of what I do on the web is reading documents. Using NoScript I can enable JavaScript for a few select websites that require it. I probably only have issues around once per week or less, which are normally fixed by either temporarily or permanently allowing a website.

Some people like a web for web applications; fair enough. But some people don't.
Bomb a city to stop a terrorist? Sure, why not?

Seriously though, try AdBlock Plus or something.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

/a3 wrote:
wGEric wrote:

I like how you ignored the part I actually asked about.
Eric

/a3

Post by /a3 »

wGEric wrote:
/a3 wrote:
wGEric wrote:

I like how you ignored the part I actually asked about.
I don't think I did. I just said that I don't feel my experiences are limited at all. ;)
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

bybe

Post by bybe »

Popup Logins and Tooltips has nothing to do with Web2.0 :P

The standard template is meant for ease if you look at the likes of Joomla, Drupal and all the other Content Management Systems they all use a rather plain / dull template but what they all have in common is they are kept simple and ease able to edit and expand onto, even for the novice.

mvader

Post by mvader »

bybe wrote:Popup Logins and Tooltips has nothing to do with Web2.0 :P

The standard template is meant for ease if you look at the likes of Joomla, Drupal and all the other Content Management Systems they all use a rather plain / dull template but what they all have in common is they are kept simple and ease able to edit and expand onto, even for the novice.
As you said, "content manage system". phpBB is a forum system, you should compare it with other competitors like MyBB, vBulletin or Invision Power Board. I know the last two of the list are paid software but shouldn't phpBB be a free alternative to them and be as powerful as them?
I mean, many other forum systems are evolving and adding so many features so fast. phpBB should do the same if it still wants to be an alternative to them.

I think phpBB4 needs a totally revamped style. A lot of phpBB forum owners use the default style and I think the default style should be something you look at it and then say "Wow, that's amazing!" rather than "Ok, this is a basic style". Well, just my opinion ;)

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

callumacrae wrote:
Mii wrote:phpBB 4 should certainly use AJAX. If it isn't, you'll loose me and like 50% of the people using phpBB. When phpBB will arrive, every serious site will have AJAX features.
I saw some of you mentioning it should be an easy style. I don't know, but AJAX makes things easy. You need less age loads, things go faster and I mean, every browser will standard have JavaScript enabled by then, so the only people who won't be able to use it are the people who turned it off on purpose.

Prosilver should be an inactive style, like subsilver is now.
+1
By the time phpBB 4.0.x is in a state that it makes sense discussing the style, AJAX and the whole web2.0 thing will be outdated and a hand full of new buzzwords will be here.
And I don't try to say here that discussing is a bad thing, however currently there is not a single piece of working backend so discussing what the front end should use/utilise/etc doesn't really make sense because at the pace the world of the IT moves all these discussions can be re-done by the time these subjects actually get involved in the development.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I don't know why everyone gets so defensive. In my opinion, at this time, phpBB *should* have some JavaScript integration to make usability improved, but JavaScript is only make-up, the best way to wear it is to make it look as if it's not there. That means all these wacky effects are not necessary (for example: Cool bang zoom boom flash login dialogue that then zooms around the corner). I, however, would not oppose, in fact I would encourage things like quick reply to not reload the page (in use of javascript), even in phpBB 3 (let alone 4, who knows when that'll be ready).

There's a balance to everything. When phpBB 4 comes time to be worked on, we'll cross this bridge when we get to it. phpBB4 will be redone dramatically anyway as it looks, I'm sure you'll get your new style. I have to be cautious what I say because the web is constantly evolving, I'm sure phpBB team will take advantage of whatever technology is available to improve usability without limiting others.

As for accessibility, I think it's perfectly reasonable to make a website that has the advantages of javascript but also being accessible, since accessibility should be a concern. Anyone who isn't concerned with it shouldn't develop a platform as wide spread as phpBB.

JMHO.
-Jonah