phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote:
migrations and template events
At the end of all.. aren't minimal stuffs, need a lot of job. And once an Alpha is released, then a Beta should come.. then a first RC release.. and blah blah blah..

so: years, so to speak. Considering the speed of the Dev Team. Yes.
This is mostly your opinion and it's starting to get old...
If you have nothing constructive to say here please continue being a spectator as you have been for the past year. These comments are not helping anything or anyone.

EXreaction

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by EXreaction »

The template events system has been merged.

Jacob

Re: Progress by RFC

Post by Jacob »

And also this three features:

'Improve User Pruning', 'Last topic title on forum list' and 'Change maximum subject length'.

Amd the 'Reply to PMs Permission' is ready to merge, apparently.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I updated those 3
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Re: Progress by RFC

Post by imkingdavid »

Jacob wrote:Amd the 'Reply to PMs Permission' is ready to merge, apparently.
I think that's still waiting on database updater changes, which I have not yet had a chance to get around to.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I would suggest that RFCs in Progress and RFC Only are removed as neither are complete and change a lot often. Both also have locations that they can be easily viewed (list of open PRs and Un-merged RFC Forum).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Ger

Post by Ger »

MichaelC wrote:I would suggest that RFCs in Progress and RFC Only are removed as neither are complete and change a lot often. Both also have locations that they can be easily viewed (list of open PRs and Un-merged RFC Forum).
+1. I would list the blocker(s) though.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Ger wrote:I would list the blocker(s) though.
They are in the first post in the topic.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Now that template events have been merged here is the situation:

1. We still need migrations (RFC). Since Nils insists on keeping the diff huge migrations are all on him.

2. The events part of template events should be reviewed and, after adding documentation, merged (Pull request). This is not currently seeing as much activity as I would like.

3. Consistent names for events (RFC). We should probably get this done before releasing 3.1 alpha to the community.

3. Consistent order of dependency injected objects (RFC). Technically this can be done during alpha phase but it may be nice toward extension authors to get this changed before 3.1 alpha.

4. Once the above is done I do not have any planned blockers for 3.1 alpha 1. If there are any functional (or supposedly functional) extensions I would make ensuring that they are functional a 3.1-A1 blocker. Otherwise I would suggest releasing 3.1-A1 as a call for testing to the community.

Note that event names and locations in 3.1-A1 are not frozen and may change before 3.1 beta. Assuming we get the event name coding guidelines passed and implemented, any changes post alpha 1 should be community driven.

5. Somewhere between alpha 1 and alpha 2 we should probably merge all major pull requests that are going to be included into 3.1. After alpha 2 I propose branching ascraeus off develop and merging any new functionality into what will become 3.2.

Between alpha 1 and alpha 2 the priority should be completing any outstanding pull requests that their authors want to get into 3.1.

6. Starting with alpha 2 the priority should be fixing blocker bugs (Report) and newly found regressions.

7. We will continue adding events by community request until at least RC stage.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

5. Somewhere between alpha 1 and alpha 2 we should probably merge all major pull requests that are going to be included into 3.1. After alpha 2 I propose branching ascraeus off develop and merging any new functionality into what will become 3.2.
Does this imply that Alpha 1 will not be feature-frozen, unlike we have been saying? It was my understanding that as of Alpha 1, no new major functionality would be merged. I'm fine with either way, I just think we need to actually make an official statement about this so that there is no question.

Other than that, I am fine with what you said. My exams are done, so starting tomorrow I *should* have plenty of time to start chipping away at the items you brought up.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.