phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
EXreaction

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by EXreaction »

We did expect A1 soon at that time. Namespaces were just merged recently, so we're fixing some remaining issues with that and a few other items that needed to be fixed. I don't think the open blocker tickets are going to affect A1 and can probably be pushed off, we just need to review and merge the ones awaiting review.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Thank you for the clarification.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Meis2M Online

Post by Meis2M »

there is now awaiting review ticket in here: http://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?jql=pr ... key%20DESC

it seems we can see alpha1 soon :D

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Before a A1, we will update area51 once more and see whether there are any major problems.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

nemesus

Post by nemesus »

is there any reason why editing overall-footer doasn´t take effect?

Greetings, N.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

nemesus wrote:is there any reason why editing overall-footer doasn´t take effect?

Greetings, N.
It does. It won't if you edit it in the ACP.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

nemesus wrote:is there any reason why editing overall-footer doasn´t take effect?

Greetings, N.
You need to purge your cache after making a change to a template file. If you're on a test board and server load isn't a big deal, you can turn on the option to "Recompile stale style components" in the ACP -> Load Settings module so that you don't have to refresh the cache every time a change is made.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Hi Developers, I am trying to understand how the merging of new tweaks and changes are done, now that 3.1 alpha is released. For instance, I noticed that there are some suggestions for minor tweaks like rearranging the user menus in Navbar by adding username (Kamahl's suggestion), Quick Login box Placeholder in Navbar for Guests, View Active Topics in Navbar, etc.. These changes can easily be merged into 3.1 since they are only minor changes in terms of code change, provided they are approved by the developers. Although there are discussions on these rfcs, there hasnt been any solid response from the developers so I am trying to understand how does this all work. How do you approve rfcs or requests submitted by general users who dont make changes via github, when do you decide to merge them, how do you merge them - meaning do the developers do that or does the user provides the codes and you merge them, will these be merged into 3.1 if approved, if the developers doesnt respond to an rfc does it mean they are not interested in merging with 3.1, etc... The only new changes I've noticed that are merged after 3.1 alpha release as it goes is the responsive layout but the other suggested tweaks seems to be in a stand still and I dont know if they are approved or not, are they gonna be merged for 3.1, etc... I am trying to understand how this all works thats all. :)

nemesus

Post by nemesus »

imkingdavid wrote:

Greetings, N.
You need to purge your cache after making a change to a template file. If you're on a test board and server load isn't a big deal, you can turn on the option to "Recompile stale style components" in the ACP -> Load Settings module so that you don't have to refresh the cache every time a change is made.
Thank you, that works!

Mess

Post by Mess »

Alien_Time wrote:Hi Developers, I am trying to understand how the merging of new tweaks and changes are done, now that 3.1 alpha is released. For instance, I noticed that there are some suggestions for minor tweaks like rearranging the user menus in Navbar by adding username (Kamahl's suggestion), Quick Login box Placeholder in Navbar for Guests, View Active Topics in Navbar, etc.. These changes can easily be merged into 3.1 since they are only minor changes in terms of code change, provided they are approved by the developers. Although there are discussions on these rfcs, there hasnt been any solid response from the developers so I am trying to understand how does this all work. How do you approve rfcs or requests submitted by general users who dont make changes via github, when do you decide to merge them, how do you merge them - meaning do the developers do that or does the user provides the codes and you merge them, will these be merged into 3.1 if approved, if the developers doesnt respond to an rfc does it mean they are not interested in merging with 3.1, etc... The only new changes I've noticed that are merged after 3.1 alpha release as it goes is the responsive layout but the other suggested tweaks seems to be in a stand still and I dont know if they are approved or not, are they gonna be merged for 3.1, etc... I am trying to understand how this all works thats all. :)
I'm not a developer, but I'm gonna chim in with my understanding of what an RFC is.
An RFC is just a measuring instrument to gauge interest for your idea. Meaning there is no reason to write a lot of code if everyone think its bloat or a bad idea. If an RFC was then "accepted" the author of the RFC could then write the code. The development team could then review and merge it if they agree with the quality of the code provided.

Over time RFC's has become wishes. Problem being that there are 7283943247289374 wishes for improvement, and even more opinions on how to best implement these wishes. And only a handful of active developers.
Imo, all current open RFC's with no author willing to do the actual code should be moved to the Ideas center.

To answer why some RFC get's added and some don't. Basically, it can be the best RFC in the world. But if no developer writes the code the RFC stays open.
As example Arty took it upon him self to get the responsive layout merged. So he made an RFC, did all the code changes and made the pull request.